Echo & Alexa Forums

Turning lights on from another room ?

okeydokey

Turning lights on from another room ?
« on: December 05, 2017, 08:15:34 am »
Hi Folks

Been pulling my hair out (not that I have much) over the last few days trying to find an answer to my problem.

I have an Echo and two echo dots.

From my main echo I can ask Alexa to turn the lights on and off (TP link smart plug) in the main room and this works no problem.

If I am in the kitchen or bedroom where the dots are located I can't do this but if I ask Alexa to play music over the group she does that ok.

Can somebody please point me in the right direction as to how I can set my dots up to control lights.

Thanks.

slaflamme

Re: Turning lights on from another room ?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 09:37:05 am »
I have a similar problem. I have two dots. One in the living room and one in the bedroom. I have a smart plug in each of those rooms to control  lamps. The living room dot seems to control both lamps. How do I associate the bedroom echo dot with the bed room smart plug. When going to "smart home" in the Alexa app (I use my laptop on line) there does not seem to be a way to separate the two dots. It seems the first registered dot is the master dot. I can set alarms and play music on individual dots but can't control the lights individually.