Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa and philips hue

mike_bike_kite

Alexa and philips hue
« on: December 05, 2017, 08:00:15 am »
This is driving me a bit spare. I have a few alexa dots around the house, one lava lamp controlled by a smart plug and now some philips hue colour bulbs. I've just connected one bulb in my lounge at the moment with the idea of quietly converting my wife to the idea of a few smart bulbs around the house. My plan is failing...

I can turn the bulb on and off but really I want to change the colour and brightness etc. It seems pretty easy when you look at the web page. Anyway these commands work:
  • alexa turn lounge lamp on
  • alexa turn lounge lamp off
  • alexa make lounge lamp brighter
while these commands don't work and it usually says "that command doesn't work with device loung lamp":
  • alexa make lounge lamp warmer
  • alexa make lounge lamp red
  • alexa set lounge lamp red
  • alexa set lounge lamp to red
  • alexa make lounge lamp to red
  • alexa turn lounge lamp red
  • alexa turn lounge lamp to red
This command just says something like "couldn't find my lights":
  • alexa turn my lights off

Am I missing something? I can use the philips hue app to set the colours etc and it works fine.

Also, is there a way of stopping it say OK? it's kind of obvious that the lights have come on.

Is it also possible for Alexa to know you're talking about the nearest lamp ie "Alexa turn light on" and it just turns the nearest light on?

Can I set timers on lights so they go off at a certain time? or am I getting ahead of myself here.

Cheers Mike

asianrocker

Re: Alexa and philips hue
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 04:00:52 am »

I can turn the bulb on and off but really I want to change the colour and brightness etc. It seems pretty easy when you look at the web page. Anyway these commands work:
  • alexa turn lounge lamp on
  • alexa turn lounge lamp off
  • alexa make lounge lamp brighter
while these commands don't work and it usually says "that command doesn't work with device loung lamp":
  • alexa make lounge lamp warmer
  • alexa make lounge lamp red
  • alexa set lounge lamp red
  • alexa set lounge lamp to red
  • alexa make lounge lamp to red
  • alexa turn lounge lamp red
  • alexa turn lounge lamp to red

Not sure about this coz I don't have hue color bulb. But if you look at scenes on alexa app, try whatever phrases are there. 

This command just says something like "couldn't find my lights":
  • alexa turn my lights off

It's because you named your light  lounge lamp, right? Make sure you use the group name that you named it with.

Also, is there a way of stopping it say OK? it's kind of obvious that the lights have come on.

No. not yet. I want Alexa speak to me on yoda voice  but hey.  :'(

Can I set timers on lights so they go off at a certain time? or am I getting ahead of myself here.

Yes you can do that on both hue app, and in alexa app - you use the routine.

Cheers Mike

mindmagic

Re: Alexa and philips hue
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 05:00:04 am »
I use IFTTT routines to change the scenes for my Hue bulbs. There is a Hue skill, but I found it clumsy and unreliable when I tried it.