Echo & Alexa Forums

Intercom calls ALL echo devices

OmegaRoach

Intercom calls ALL echo devices
« on: December 02, 2017, 12:42:51 am »
My kids use the intercom feature to call me with the show to "facetime" my Alexa app when I'm not home.  When they call me ALL of the echo devices at the house ring too (7 devices).  Is there anyway to only have my Alexa app on my cell phone ring and not the other devices?

Thanks in advance!

suneetk

Re: Intercom calls ALL echo devices
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 05:17:01 pm »
Is it possible to speak into android app and have echo dot act as speaker of the same sound/recording...I just bought an echo dot and am figuring out how to use it as a intercom...

would appreciate a step by step summary or a link of the same if available...apologies, I wasn't able to find something simple and straightforward with the steps outlined...

asianrocker

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 05:22:43 am »
Can't help with 'as intercom' setup but you can use 'simon says' command if all you want is to 'parrot' what you said on echo.

zaphod

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 02:55:49 pm »
My kids use the intercom feature to call me with the show to "facetime" my Alexa app when I'm not home.  When they call me ALL of the echo devices at the house ring too (7 devices).  Is there anyway to only have my Alexa app on my cell phone ring and not the other devices?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, i have never used facetime but as for the intercom feature it gets used by our household regularly. during the summer i even have one outside so i can call the kids to come inside and i don't have to go hunting them down lol.

that said today for example i forgot i had renamed the echo plus in my bedroom. when our mom attempted to have alexa drop in she couldn't. then i tested at her end and same thing ???. then it dawned on me, duh i changed names so dropping in on "john" no longer worked.

i know it is kind of the reverse situation you encountered nonetheless maybe look into names associated with your units? put one in its own unique group, name too? or though not really a solution rather a work around, in settings go in and block drop in except your household on those devices you don't want facetime to show up on. again not a facetime user but maybe some of this could help.

best of luck to you! and a happy new year!

rolldog

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 10:26:19 pm »
I don't want to derail this thread, but since you are in the same position I am, maybe someone here can give me a hand. I have 2 Echo Shows and for Christmas, I bought myself and both of my 2 daughters all Echo Spots. I have them included in my Amazon Household so they can use Amazon Prime Video, Prime Music, and Amazon Music Unlimited. To do this, I had to set them up with a "teen" profile, since you can only add one adult to your Prime Household.

The bad thing is, when they try to setup their Echo Spot, so we can intercom each other in our bedrooms, like if I wanted to make sure they were awake and getting ready for school, they can't setup their Echo Spot using their own profiles since Amazon doesn't allow a teen profile to setup an Echo device. How can I setup our devices so we can intercom each other?

I haven't tried this yet, but if this works then it would probably work for you too. Do I need to setup all of the Echo devices using my Amazon profile but change the name on each one so when you tell the Echo to drop in on one of them, I just tell it to drop in on whatever name I gave each one, even if they're all associated with my Amazon profile?

I can see how this might work, but would the Echo device always use my information for recommendations or would each Echo device be registered to me and have multiple profiles associated with it? If this works, then this would also fix your problem, just give each Echo device its own unique name, then when you drop in on one, you just specify the unique device that you want to drop in on. This should prevent all of your devices from answering. I wonder if each one has the name of each person if each person can associate their own phone number with the Echo so my phone isn't used every time someone makes a call or sends a message through the Echo?

Offline kenf

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 03:59:59 pm »
ignoring the shared Prime problem, I would have:

Each person makes an Amazon account
setup/register each respective Echo as their respective owner
name each Echo for the room they are in (in their respective houses)

for each Amazon account, set them up to use your contacts/SMS so you can do the Call "Person" thing

The Intercom mechanism is really intended for within a single house.  "Alexa, call the kitchen" or "Alexa, drop-in the Kitchen" from my office does mostly the same thing (drop-in just connects, call lets the person in the kitchen "answer")

I suspect, What Amazon wants you to do is like I said to setup.  You'd then say "Alexa, Call Betty" (assuming your daughter is Betty) and she'd get a ring on her Echo Spot and she could answer it or reject it.

Pause for a second and consider that for the good of your non-pervy mind.  You got her a Spot.  She put it in her bedroom in HER home.  She might be entertaining a visitor.  Drop-In for in-home intercom does not ask for permission, it opens the channel and boom, there you are in realtime naughtiness.  You don't need that.

That's the basics of how it should work.  You want to share Prime to multiple homes (aka adults).  Amazon's not likely happy about that.  But backup a step.

You all don't need Prime on your Echoes.  Nobody should be watching movies on a Show or Spot.  Seriously that's nuts.

Do the config like I said.

Make fake emails and "Teen" accounts and hand them out for them to use on their TV (Roku, Xbox, playstation,iTV, etc).  They'll use those on the machines that actually need it.  Not the Echoes.