Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Newbie question

markwarren

Newbie question
« on: November 29, 2017, 07:30:47 am »
Hi,

I have just set up an Echo Plus with 10 smart bulbs around the house.  I have them all working how I would like.

However, SWMBO keeps turning the lights off at the switch which then obviously stops control by Alexa.  Are there switches that can be used to replace the existing ones which will switch off the light but still leave the light controllable by Alexa?

Cheers

Mark

Re: Newbie question
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 09:49:23 am »
Yes there are several.
A google search will turn up several brands.

asianrocker

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 11:44:17 am »
LOL have to look up what  SWMBO means. Well, you can just tell her not to switch the light off? Tell her to get with the program? Sign of the times, get on with it? I think it's a waste of money to buy a switch when she can just NOT  switch the light off, ya know?

markwarren

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 12:05:40 pm »
Yes there are several.
Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that!!  Seriously do you not think I have tried that !!  The results I get are quite confusing and not really clear if they will work with my system or not hence the question.  Hence the stated NEWBIE question.

If everyone used Google there would be no forums !! 

Definition of forum "a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged."  I can not see the words condescending or patronising in that definition

Sorry to rant but I thought your answer was a total waste of time when I was genuinely asking for help
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 12:11:49 pm by markwarren »

markwarren

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 12:07:30 pm »
LOL have to look up what  SWMBO means. Well, you can just tell her not to switch the light off? Tell her to get with the program? Sign of the times, get on with it? I think it's a waste of money to buy a switch when she can just NOT  switch the light off, ya know?
Hi Asianrocker,

Your invite to come and tell her that is in the post :) You are a braver man than I.  Seriously, I think in the long run she will come on board but if putting a couple of switches in helps with that, it's all good.
ATB

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 12:20:46 pm »
Yes there are several.
Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that!!  Seriously do you not think I have tried that !!  The results I get are quite confusing and not really clear if they will work with my system or not hence the question.  Hence the stated NEWBIE question.

Sorry to rant but I thought your answer was a total waste of time

in all fairness, according to your original question, your question was answered.   you only asked if there were switches available.   

I would suggest getting magnetic covers for the switches so they cannot be used but could be removed easily.  a whole lot cheaper at this point.  you can find them at amazon.

on a side note, if you want to know if something is compatible with the echo, if you see the item on another website, you can search for it on amazon and if they have it, it would say echo compatible (or something similar) in the specs. 

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 12:50:02 pm »
@ markwarren Sorry to get under your skin!
Since your using smart bulbs, a smart switch makes them useless if controlled with a smart switch.
Ask about a specific Switch and I'm sure a member of the forum will respond with some feed back.
We're not all mind readers here, we (or at least I) don't know what brands of smart bulbs you have nor if your using a hub or the brand of it. ??? ::)
We really do need more info about your system.
Maybe the easiest cheapest solution is to remove the switch.

malliekm

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 06:45:01 pm »
Just put a little piece of clear tape over the switch. She'll reach for it a few times before she gets used to the idea of not turning it off.

khodorhfawaz

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 09:32:09 am »
You can use "Philips Hue Wireless Lighting Dimmer Switch Smart Accessory"
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Wireless-Lighting-Accessory-HomeKit/dp/B0748KLR39/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1512138429&sr=8-3&keywords=hue+switch 
which works with hue bulbs. Normally they work with the Phillips Bridge. I am not sure if they will work with the hub in the Echo Plus. If not you would need to buy the Phillips bridge.