Echo & Alexa Forums

Backing up Alexa settings

UKMedia

Backing up Alexa settings
« on: November 18, 2017, 02:43:58 am »
Hi all

As I use Alexa more and more, I realise the investment in time and effort relating to Routines, Scenes etc. Does any one know of a way to backup the Alexa app settings?

The reason for the need of this was bought home recently when I was having problems with a Sonos One and decided to select 'Forget All' in the PC app followed by 'Discover' and all activities within my Routines disappeared! :(

UKMedia

mike27oct

Re: Backing up Alexa settings
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 04:23:26 am »
These devices are not hard drives -- there is no backup for them, nor will there likely be!  You will just have to keep notes on the stuff you want to backup.

UKMedia

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 07:42:21 am »
These devices are not hard drives -- there is no backup for them, nor will there likely be!  You will just have to keep notes on the stuff you want to backup.

Mike27Oct - Surprised by your dismissive comment.  :o Smart home setup should not be a matter of 'taking notes', if that was the case I wouldn't be interested in an Alexa skill in the first place!  As the complexity and scope of Smart devices within the home and businesses increases, the ability to have a resilient store of the set-up stored in the cloud will be something that will save hrs of time and could provide a capability to undo recent changes.

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 09:59:50 am »
True this have no harddrive and never will but they are a cloud device a nackup could be saved if Amazon were to add the feature.
The cool thing with cloud based devices is the ease at which upgrades can be maded and rolled our. 

@UKMedia in the Aleca app click on feed back and explain what happened and suggest the need for a cloud backup option.Even if only one backup  is allowed per account that woild save users hours of reprograming.
I've  used the cloud back ip of the econtrol app seversl times. So this isnt beyond what Amazon can do.

UKMedia

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 11:39:46 am »
Done :)

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 06:55:18 pm »
Maybe if the OP's comment had been, "I am going to write Amazon and tell them they need a backup feature" my response would have been "Attaboy".