Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Drop in not working after Dot Relocation

MyName

Drop in not working after Dot Relocation
« on: November 17, 2017, 01:05:31 pm »
Hello all,

I am trying to find some help with an issue I am running into. So far I can't find anyone else reporting the same.

The Quick rundown.

I had 3 Echo dots (2 gen 2, 1 gen1) set up at my home. They worked fine, drop in feature worked fine, all good.

I relocated them to my work, wanting to be able to use them to drop in on my home (Echo Gen2, Echo Gen 1). Now the drop in or calling features no longer work on the relocated dots. I cant call out, or call in to the dots at the new location.

Wifi connection at work is good enough to stream music without any issues, so I dont think that is the issue.

Anyone have any thoughts on the issue? Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Jeff29

Re: Drop in not working after Dot Relocation
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 12:16:17 am »
Primary suspect:  work-place firewall.

AFAIK you cannot verify this directly but an indirect test would be to check the Alexa App and the web page to see if the devices located at your place of work are discovered and active.  Read on to learn this doesn't guarantee anything regarding communications.

This is a problem that will likely take work-place resources to solve.  Some companies document their security policies and procedures and allow employees access to details on firewall policies.  If you can find this type of information or a work resource ("IT-guy") you may be able to do some troubleshooting.  I have no clue what protocols or ports Amazon Echo devices require for communication and it appears to be undocumented.

Alternately you could run a VPN to your home or make use of a VPN service--again lack of Amazon device communication requirements will make this a trial by fire.  Or it may work on the 1st try.  If you wanted to do this you would need (at a high level):
1.  Amazon device
2.  Wireless router (connected to a PC for the VPN)
3.  PC that will forward communications over VPN (via a client you run on the PC)
4.  A VPN host (which you can run at home or purchase as a service)

It is possible that every service on an Amazon device uses a different protocol and port.  To give you a better idea of what this means--if you don't see the devices listed (via Alexa App or the web interface) then you can be fairly certain they are firewalled off.  If you do see the devices listed then the only thing you know is that some web services get through your firewall but other services (which you say are not working) may be blocked.

The above VPN suggestion may work on the 1st try.  Given what appears to be a complete lack of documentation on Amazon device communications you may have to sniff your home network for communication protocol details to identify what protocols and ports you need.

You might contact Amazon Echo support and ask about device communications requirements--be prepared for an uphill battle as a technician confidently responds "OH YES! Just plug it in using the power supply that came in the box and use your wifi!" at which point you will have to patiently explain another 6 times that you want to know what services use TCP, UDP, and what ports.  If you do this I am sure everyone would appreciate a post with your experience and the technical details.

Good luck!