Echo & Alexa Forums

No home for Cortana here?

asianrocker

No home for Cortana here?
« on: November 16, 2017, 08:04:50 am »
This is obviously an echo forum but google home has its own category here but not Cortana? I thought Cortana was lame too. I have it on my old laptop for the longest time but can't use it coz the mic and speaker are busted. But now I have a new laptop. I am playing with Cortana more than my echo.

So far so good. I was watching youtube video about Cortana commands and it kept waking up my Cortana just like the commercials on my echo.

So far the skills are lame most  are for sports for some reason. I read an amazon skill dev said he is being paid by Amazon so why would he release his skills for Cortana if he is not paid. LOL.

Anyway, I am liking Cortana more and more. Guess I'm back on windows. People need to know, actually, use Cortana on their PCs. It really makes your PCs, laptop all hands free.

Here's my first tip I found. If you right click on any web page, it has an option to read aloud and if you click it will read EVERYTHING on sight. LOL. So if you just want to read the article you need to highlight it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 08:07:49 am by asianrocker »

Re: No home for Cortana here?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 05:32:21 pm »
cortana sounds like a drink  :-)  seriously, if they started off with their own device instead of stuck with windows, IMO, it would the echo of today. 

asianrocker

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 07:28:28 pm »
I think they introduce it for their windows phone first actually. I actually don't know if they still sell those phone.

Jergnul

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 03:05:43 am »
Well, at least Cortana is not the iPhone plague that's being discussed frigging everywhere regardless of the topic. I actually liked Cortana for a while but found very little use for her. As you said, the skills are generally lame. Not a very well thought-out assistant.

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 03:23:14 am »
I only had one major problem with cortana, I still cannot pronounce it. 

malliekm

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 10:17:53 am »
You're kidding, right?\
Core TAH nuh

asianrocker

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 04:18:29 pm »
Well, at least Cortana is not the iPhone plague that's being discussed frigging everywhere regardless of the topic. I actually liked Cortana for a while but found very little use for her. As you said, the skills are generally lame. Not a very well thought-out assistant.

Cortana does not need to be embedded in the speaker to be useful. It really is very useful to me on my laptop. Instead of typing the website I just say open whatever website I want to go to. I have the mic keyboard so I can just dictate instead of typing. But it does not understand me well unfortunately. Android does.

Like google home, I don't see the need for Cortana speaker. I can control it from my laptop. For home automation, I still will use Alexa. Although I read they are working on home automation for cortana.

I have GA on my phone, Cortana on my laptop and Alexa on my speaker. MY current fave is Cortana.