Echo & Alexa Forums

Getting really sick of TV/Radio intentionally activating Alexa

Offline jwlv

Getting really sick of TV/Radio intentionally activating Alexa
« on: November 12, 2017, 11:14:43 pm »
I'm getting really sick of TV/Radio commercials intentionally activating Alexa. There was a recent commercial on TV that purposely activated Alexa by saying something like "Alexa, who's the number one car dealer in ..." In the commercial they showed an Echo giving the answer. The real Echo obviously doesn't know what they're talking about. But it still responded and said "Sorry, I don't know that one."

Amazon really needs to let users pick their own wake word. Before you know it, everybody's gonna start exploiting this. It will get really annoying really fast, especially for people who like to leave their TV on while they sleep.

For now I've changed my wake word to Computer. I was hoping that when I say "Computer..." I  could get that Star Trek beeps. I know I can turn on the beep when Echo hears the wake word, but I want the specific Star Trek beeps. :)

Jeff29

Re: Getting really sick of TV/Radio intentionally activating Alexa
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 12:44:42 am »
So why don't you add a call-to-action requesting users to send feedback asking for this with instructions?  If you had done that I'd have followed your instructions and posted.  Since you started the thread I'll let you choose how you want to proceed.

If you'd like to see a step-by-step example of how I've done this (#4):
https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/devices/echo-alexa/464683-how-do-i-broadcast-a-spoken-intercom-message-to

asianrocker

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 11:39:26 am »
I don't think it's intentional at all, if it was then, they would have paid the Alexa devs to really have same answer as in their commercial. It actually is humiliating for them coz in reality, Alexa does not know the answer like she ALWAYS do.

And their commercial is an EPIC fail. When commercials trigger my echo I just push the mic icon. Problem solved. I actually did change mine to computer too but went back to alexa. It's just a matter of habit. 

Jeff29

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 03:42:54 pm »
Thinking it isn't planned indicates a lack of exposure to marketing firms.  Like recognizing that marketing firms know it angers and frustrates consumers when commercial volume is raised on your TV but still continue the practice.  Marketing firms don't care about measuring any consumer response other than their call-to-action.  Consumers act more like cattle than intelligent beings.   If consumers stopped making purchases based upon the volume being raised it would have stopped immediately.

There's another comparison you haven't thought of when saying "it's not intentional".  Think  about your web browsing experience.   How many things happen during your browsing time that you a) didn't intend and b) didn't want?

I'm a bit surprised Amazon hasn't created marketing offerings already and sold interactive coordination.  An example of this would be an advertisement on TV that activates Alexa with a command leaving Alexa responding saying "I can show you more information on this product or say 'purchase' and your purchase will be delivered within the next X hours."

Think it won't happen?  Remember TV commercial volume, your web browser experience, and that vendors will do anything legal and many things not legal to get into your wallet.

malliekm

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 04:37:28 pm »
Amen! (Except for the part about being called a cow)  ;D Actually I don't watch commercials because I record all my programming, but I remember back in the day before DVRs and how I hated those loud obnoxious commercials!

ken1943

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 05:18:09 pm »
There are a couple of other words. Look in settings.

marcel_911

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 07:32:04 pm »
I am surprised that anyone still listens to TV ads in 2017.

The only channels I watch live are the BBC (No ads). Anything else is recorded then the Ads skipped.

Jeff29

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 09:04:21 pm »
I am surprised that anyone still listens to TV ads in 2017.

The only channels I watch live are the BBC (No ads). Anything else is recorded then the Ads skipped.

I couldn't agree more.  I have my chef or maid grab stuff for me so I never have to worry about walking away and forgetting the remote risking playing a commercial.

8)

mike27oct

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 04:17:50 am »
I am mostly irritated by Dots around the house speaking when not spoken to and replying when I ask a Google Home a question.  Since I do not have any of my many devices near a loud TV, nothing on the TV sets them off. 

malliekm

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 03:23:40 pm »
Mike, the same thing has been happening with my sister's Dots.  She got so fed up with it she unplugged one of them.  It wasn't a tv problem either.  I sent her a GH.  Last time I asked she hadn't had an issue with the Mini doing that but it's been awhile since I asked her.  It seems to come and go with my Dots (I kept two and sold one).  I don't have the
accessibility chime on so it might happen more and I don't see it.  One Dot is in the master bath and the other is now on top of the fridge.