Echo & Alexa Forums

Homematic device in mode that does not accept requests

Robbert

Homematic device in mode that does not accept requests
« on: November 10, 2017, 11:37:06 am »
Hi, am struggling with following. I connected HomeMatic IP devices (thermostat, door and window contacts) to Alexa. This works, but functionality seems limited (for instance issues with in,cuding in routines). The main problem however is that when it is installed it works and through Alexa I can control heaters.

After a while Alexa will tell me however that the device is in a mode that doesn’t accept requests, and I should change it on the device or the app (which app?).
After many fruitless attempts, I reinstalled HomeMatic IP and it worked! But only for a few hours, and now it is all back to the mode that doesn’t accept requests.

Anyone to help or give THE tip, it’s is pretty frustrating,

Thanks
Robbert

Offline jwlv

Re: Homematic device in mode that does not accept requests
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 12:17:18 pm »
I have the Nest Thermostat. It has a undisclosed limitation of how many requests/commands you can ask per hour. My estimate is about 10 per hour. After that Alexa will say something about the wrong mode or the command goes through but ignored by the Nest.

Perhaps your HomeMatic has a similar limitation.

Robbert

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 01:04:04 pm »
Thanks, perhaps, will keep an eye on it, though it is already several hours that it won’t work.

Robbert

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 05:56:50 am »
I have the Nest Thermostat. It has a undisclosed limitation of how many requests/commands you can ask per hour. My estimate is about 10 per hour. After that Alexa will say something about the wrong mode or the command goes through but ignored by the Nest.

Perhaps your HomeMatic has a similar limitation.

This could well be it! Alexa accepts the requests again since this morning. Thx

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 06:34:19 am »
Several months ago when Nest finally added Alexa support, I was very excited to try it out. Like anything new on Echo, it takes some trial and error. As I was testing it, I found it working beautifully and then all of a sudden it stopped working. After several hours of sheer frustration I guessed that perhaps I issued too many commands within a short time span. And it turns out that I was probably correct.

I suppose when it comes to thermostats, this might be some kind of protection since you normally wouldn't want to turn on/off the air conditioner compressor too quickly or too often. It'll damage the compressor. As for the heater, it might be the same way especially if your heater is a heat pump design, rather than forced air.