Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Plus will not discover Philips Hue bulb

DickC

Echo Plus will not discover Philips Hue bulb
« on: November 07, 2017, 08:13:49 pm »
Philips Hue bulb will not discover on my Echo Plus. 
1. I have tried 2 different Hue bulbs in different lamps.
2. I have reset the bulb using its serial number.
3. I have asked Alexa to discover devices.
4. I have asked Alexa to discover lights.
5. I have tried to discover using Alexa app on my PC, iPad and iPhone.

None of this worked. My Echo Plus discovered Ecobee Thermostat and Sonos Speakers without any problem.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Re: Echo Plus will not discover Philips Hue bulb
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 05:16:49 am »
if you are using the white only hue bulb, are you supposed to do is to screw it in and discover. 

DickC

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 08:23:58 am »
That is what I did.  I screwed the white bulb in, started discovery, turned on the lamp, the bulb lit up but it does not discover the light.  Can’t figure out what’s wrong.

ericnrosesmom

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 01:41:41 pm »
Could be a bad bulb. I don't have the plus, but I once bought a bulb that no matter what I tried the hue bridge just couldn't discover it. Which meant alexa couldn't control it either. Even did a master reset of the bridge and still no luck. I wound up taking the bulb back to walmart and exchanging it. The bridge and alexa both discovered the new bulb on the first try.

DickC

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 06:58:02 pm »
Thank you for your suggestion, however I took my original bulb back to my local Amazon store and the replaced it.  I also unplugged Echo Plus and when it rebooted, still no Hue discovery.  I'm wondering if the Smart Hub on my Echo Plus is faulty. It finds my Alexa enabled Sonos One speaker and Ecobee Thermostat?

Offline jwlv

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 07:52:20 pm »
The Echo Plus essentially replaces the Hue Hub. Now with the Hue Hub, there is a button you have to press to sync/pair the Hue light bulbs. Does the Echo Plus have a button that you must push to start pairing?

DickC

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 09:28:00 pm »
Everything I’ve read and the salesperson at the Amazon store says just turn on the bulb and ask Alexa to discover devices and it should work. There is an action button that performs the following;

* Turns off a timer or alarm
* Wakes your device
* Enables Wi-Fi setup mode after you press and hold it until the light ring turns orange.

I’ll try pressing the button during discovery and post the results..

asianrocker

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 09:34:09 am »
Thank you for your suggestion, however I took my original bulb back to my local Amazon store and the replaced it.  I also unplugged Echo Plus and when it rebooted, still no Hue discovery.  I'm wondering if the Smart Hub on my Echo Plus is faulty. It finds my Alexa enabled Sonos One speaker and Ecobee Thermostat?

FYI echo plus has zigbee hub not smart hub and if they tell you otherwise then I will complain to them for false advertising. Your amazon store is in Kohl's, I assume?

It's not good for echo plus though if they give hue bulb with echo plus and they don't work seamlessly, what a shame. And I smell Phillips is behind it.  :o
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 09:37:26 am by asianrocker »

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 12:19:23 pm »
might be time to contact amazon customer support, click on it in your alexa app. 

DickC

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 08:19:44 pm »
Asianrocker,
For clarity, my Amazon Store is actually a new Amazon Book Store in a local mall. Of course they sell all Alexa products, plus some other Alexa enabled products like Sonos One.

Renegade,
Based on your recommendation, I have sent an email message to Alexa customer support. I will post their response when I receive it.

asianrocker

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 08:53:22 am »
Ok Amazon is taking over physical stores too? First Kohl's now the Mall? I know bookstores was their first with their Kindle. No wonder Amazon owner is the richest man right now. I smell Monopoly. They actually are adding a new warehouse on my state.

Intlbman

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 07:25:11 am »
Thank you for posting your problems,  I am having the exact same problem and I tried everything you did.  Did you ever get resolution?

DickC

Update: Echo Plus will not discover Philips Hue bulb
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 07:35:57 pm »
So far, I have tried 3 different bulbs and Echo Plus is still not connecting.  I contacted Amazon Customer Support and spent a fair amount of time via on-line chat with several Customer Service Reps retrying all the things I already tried. Finally on a live call, their Amazon rep escalated the problem to their technical support team.  Their customer service rep calls me every two days or so telling me they are still working on a resolution and to please be patient. I have no  choice but to be patient, but I am encouraged that they will come up with a fix.

I will post their resolution on this forum when they get it working. 

DickC

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 08:14:48 pm »
In case you need it. Amazon Customer Support tel:1-877-375-9365

B

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 09:22:05 pm »
I just had the same problem but it was resolved. Amazon rep had me reset echo plus by holding down the reset button (little hole) for about 12 seconds to reset. Then she had me log out of the amazon app from my phone and log back in after about 10 seconds. Once echo plus restarted I logged back into app from phone and then went through the set up for the echo plus. Ask a few commands like what time was it or what the weather was just to make sure it was connected and working properly. Afterwards I went to smart home on the app and then clicked on discover new devices. If ur echo plus is working properly u should see a blue light going around it showing that it is searching. Then the "light" showed up. Hope this helps!