Echo & Alexa Forums

BBC iPlayer Radio?

Resonance

BBC iPlayer Radio?
« on: November 01, 2017, 03:57:33 am »
Hi, does anyone know if the BBC have an iplayer radio skill in the pipeline? I know I can play stations via Tunein or Radio Player, but BBC radio catch up is a problem at the moment.

orange

Re: BBC iPlayer Radio?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 05:20:45 am »
I notice they are advertising iplayer for the echo show - but I assume that's video only

for catchup on tv I tend to pair via bluetooth and play off the phone.

Resonance

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 08:14:59 am »
Thanks for the reply Orange. Yes, I noticed they were doing iplayer for the show. As you say, probably for the TV side of it though.

My two most wanted skills are iPlayer Radio and Pocket Casts.

orange

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 08:45:55 am »
I would have thought it would be fairly trivial for the bbc to get the audio steam working but I wonder how you'd select the program though ?  You couldn't just say "alexa play The Archers" as it would give thousands of hits ?

Resonance

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 11:40:10 am »
I would have thought it would be fairly trivial for the bbc to get the audio steam working but I wonder how you'd select the program though ?  You couldn't just say "alexa play The Archers" as it would give thousands of hits ?

Maybe default to the latest episode, where you could ask for previous episodes. Something like........

Me "Alexa ask iPlayer to play The Archers"
iPlayer "The latest episode of the Archers is number 18,459, from Wednesday 1st November, do you want me to play it? "
Me either "Yes", or "No, play episode 18,457"

« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 11:46:41 am by Resonance »

orange

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 05:39:16 am »
maybe - although it gets really complicated because a lot of radio 4 stuff is repeated either on the same day or throughout the week - plus 4 extra has much of the same stuff repeated a week later (or years later !) or has an omnibus edition on a weekend. Also part of the idea of iplayer is that you can browse for things you don't even know you've missed.

I think what I'm saying is that I'm not sure how slick a voice controlled iplayer radio would be - obviously they could make you select the program via the alexa app and then stream from the echo, but this also would be a little clumsy.   Don't get me wrong, I use iplayer radio all the time and it would be great to have something on the Echo, I'm just not convinced it would be as satisfying as on screen based device.

I'd extend the same argument to why it doesn't work well for shopping either IMO.  "Alexa add potatoes to my shopping basket"....."Do you mean 1kg of King Edwards or 2kg of Maris Piper...etc etc "

When voice AI get's more advanced (very soon I suspect) then you'll be able to have a proper conversation with it and describe exactly what you're after but at this point Alexa isn't capable of turning on a light with 100% reliability.  "I'm sorry I can't find a device called lates" so the chance of getting last weekends Gardeners' Question Time correctly is slim :)

Resonance

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 06:57:11 am »
Yes, I see what you're saying Orange. Maybe that's why the BBC hasn't made an iPlayer Radio skill?

I guess I'll just have to stick to using Bluetooth. Would just be nice not having to use my phone/tablet to access iPlayer Radio though. Like you say maybe some time in the future when Alexa is a bit more advanced.

Resonance

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 01:01:16 pm »
The BBC have just emailed me an update of their privacy policy. One of the changes was........

Use your BBC account through voice enabled devices. Sign in to your account through Amazon Alexa, and other digital voice assistants in the future, to access all your favourite BBC radio stations and podcasts

Wonder if this is a sign that iPlayer Radio could be in the pipeline?

orange

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 09:19:54 am »
interesting - although we already know there is going to be iplayer for the show and already exists for.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/amazon

also interestingly, all mention of the iplayer app for the echo show has disappeared from the amazon web page for the show ? although they do mention "BBC video flash briefing"

Resonance

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 10:11:46 am »
That is strange. Maybe it's just that the iPlayer app is not quite ready for the Show yet, but will be in the future?

Think the Show's bigger problem is going to be Google's decision to pull YouTube.

Bigmick777

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 01:51:45 pm »

Think the Show's bigger problem is going to be Google's decision to pull YouTube.
Apparently it's back but still says not supported on my UK show.  Cannot find anything to do with I player either for my show.

RobertinHerts

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 03:53:33 pm »
maybe - although it gets really complicated because a lot of radio 4 stuff is repeated either on the same day or throughout the week - plus 4 extra has much of the same stuff repeated a week later (or years later !) or has an omnibus edition on a weekend. Also part of the idea of iplayer is that you can browse for things you don't even know you've missed.

The best option that I'm aware of so far are the BBC Podcasts. If Anypod isn't aware of the one you want to subscribe to you can request it. My request (Brexit cast) took about 4 days to request via a web form, get alerted by email and work 8)

GMIDGLEY

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 04:49:38 am »
This is now available from today

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077P7TNF2/ref=sr_1_7?s=digital-skills&ie=UTF8&qid=1512985674&sr=1-7&keywords=BBC

Description
Jump into radio. Lose yourself in a podcast. This is the BBC on Alexa.

Switch between your favourite radio stations, then swap to a podcast, like Scott Mills Daily. This is the only skill that gives you every single BBC radio station and the very best BBC podcasts – instantly. Just by asking. And all without a single advert.

So you can tune in to your local station while you cook, be transported by Desert Island Discs before bed, or keep up to date with the World Service before you leave in the morning.

Resonance

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 04:59:49 am »
This is now available from today

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077P7TNF2/ref=sr_1_7?s=digital-skills&ie=UTF8&qid=1512985674&sr=1-7&keywords=BBC

Description
Jump into radio. Lose yourself in a podcast. This is the BBC on Alexa.

Switch between your favourite radio stations, then swap to a podcast, like Scott Mills Daily. This is the only skill that gives you every single BBC radio station and the very best BBC podcasts – instantly. Just by asking. And all without a single advert.

So you can tune in to your local station while you cook, be transported by Desert Island Discs before bed, or keep up to date with the World Service before you leave in the morning.

Thanks for the info. Still no catchup unfortunatly. Could be useful for playing BBC stations, when Tunein throws a wobbly though, which it does occasionally.

strayfish

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 08:18:32 am »
Mine all defaulted to this today instead of Tunein. My only complaint so far is that Show doesn't 'show' the station once it's playing and the app - onscreen or on iOS - doesn't show it's playing anything at all so I can't adjust the volume from there as I can with everything else. Early days, maybe.