Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa Routines now in UK

samsethi

Alexa Routines now in UK
« on: October 29, 2017, 08:13:31 pm »
Hi

The new Alexa App just loaded and it now has 'Routines' basically create multiple skills into one command.  i.e Goodnight might closes the lights and lower the temperature and report the front door is locked. 

Sam

orange

Re: Alexa Routines now in UK
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 06:03:51 am »
...except you can't use "goodnight" as it's a reserved phrase - even though the app suggests you can.

Plus the routines only fully support "devices" not "scenes". Meaning you can't trigger a scene off - just a scene on.  Additionally you can't trigger skills, timers and are limited to smarthome devices plus news/weather/traffic.

close but no cigar for Amazon (again)

You've been able to to this for some time via Yonomi - and it's a much better solution if your devices are supported by it.

StevenR

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 11:59:13 am »
Goodnight does actually work - make sure you enter it as one word otherwise you will
I'll still get the default response. There appears to be a bug where every phrase you use will give the red error message when you edit the routine, which appears to be it telling you that the phrase is in use - which it is, by that routine   ::)

orange

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 12:44:42 pm »
Goodnight does actually work - make sure you enter it as one word otherwise you will
I'll still get the default response.

didn't try that  :) although to be fair the app actually suggests you use "good night" rather than "goodnight" so I wasn't totally to blame

Compact

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 06:53:57 am »
I have found that for Good Night, I needed to add two routines, depending on how Alexa heard me.
Both are the same but with "Good Night" and "Goodnight"

When I say "Alexa good night" it can here is as either "Good night" or "Goodnight" and either just reply to me saying good night but do nothing, or sometimes it hears it as a command and turns off my lights.

Hence adding 2 routines, covers it :)