Echo & Alexa Forums

what google home is doing better

what google home is doing better
« on: October 20, 2017, 08:43:11 pm »
one thing that google home is doing better is they are making their home available to the general public.  I was just at walmart and they had a about 10 mini and 6 regular available.  amazon echo no where to be seen.  just did a search at walmart website for amazon echo, what pops up, google home. 

the same with lowes.  both the local store and online does not show any echos, just homes. 

I did find the echo at bed, bath and beyond and best buy but they are not stores people go to regularly...and they sell both.  but those stores are not local to me.  about an hour drive.

In the end, this will be what determines which will win.  the ability to sell on inpulse or locally.  if the echo is not out there, it will not win in the end.   

malliekm

Re: what google home is doing better
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 09:07:28 pm »
My WM doesn't have the Mini.  They do sell the larger one tho.  I wonder why Lowes isn't selling the Echo Dot this year?  They had loads of them last year around Christmas. 

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 10:20:13 pm »
Are the google devices onlu on display, or are they operating? 

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 11:38:31 pm »
Are the google devices onlu on display, or are they operating? 

the ones I saw were for sale, sealed in their boxes. 

Jerome

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 07:54:34 am »
Here in France, GH has been on sale since August and the Mini is about to launch.
With French language support.
https://www.fnac.com/SearchResult/ResultList.aspx?SCat=0%211&Search=google+home&sft=1&sa=0

By the time Echo arrives in France, I'm afraid it will be too late for Amazon...

Chris

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 03:02:23 pm »
I have both the GH and echo in my home. All I can say, if you live in the US, stick to echo.
Bothe these products have not officially been released in South Africa. In spite of that Google will give me local weather, routes etc. That would be the only reason to by GH outside the us. Alexa makes gh look pedestrian when it comes to home automation.

malliekm

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 05:22:20 pm »
Chris, whats your home automation setup?  I thought you used a GH somewhere and said it made Alexa look like a second rate citizen (or something like that).  My GHs operate my home automation just like Alexa does...perfectly.

Chris

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 12:48:27 am »
As stated. Google can give me traffic, restaurants and weather locally. Echo can't.
GH edge on follow up questions.
However, if you check how you can do groupings and routines ( independent of the product app) on Alexa it's obvious.

Chris

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 01:02:46 am »
I suppose both these products will copy each other's abilities over time.
Dictionary on Amazon seems better. Ask for a synonym of a word and check.
I do think though, had I lived us, I would stick with echo.

malliekm

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 03:04:48 am »
I ask for synonyms all the time with GH.  It works just fine.  Does it not work for you?
I wonder what else it does in a supported country that it doesn't do in an unsupported one?
I don't know anything about GH's ability to do groupings and routines.  I don't use them
with GH or Alexa.   Use and enjoy both AIs.  I have both.  I use Alexa for Amazon tracking
and Life360 and GH for everything else.  If GH didn't work for me (better than Alexa), I wouldn't be using it.
Sorry you spent so much on something you don't like tho.  Maybe you can sell it.

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 05:05:21 am »
As stated. Google can give me traffic, restaurants and weather locally. Echo can't.
GH edge on follow up questions.
However, if you check how you can do groupings and routines ( independent of the product app) on Alexa it's obvious.

there are advantages of owning your own search engine where you can modify it to work with an assistant and give it the best results.   I wonder if amazon will eventually purchase their own.

as far as the echo giving local weather - it does, it gives me my local weather every morning. 

as I said in the original post, what is going to help gh and possibly give them the win is walmart.  walmart can make or break devices.