Echo & Alexa Forums

How do I Play a Playlist from one dot to another?

Wespe4

How do I Play a Playlist from one dot to another?
« on: October 19, 2017, 01:09:14 pm »
Has anyone figured this out yet? So I have 4 dots and 1 Echo. And I would like to be able to play my son's sleep music playlist on his Dot by telling the DOT in My room to play it in HIS room..

So I say Alexa: Play "(name of is playlist)" on "(name of his Dot)" She responds, I don't see "(name of his Dot)" in the list. But it is clearly in the app, and she recognized it always for all other things. Actually she recognizes all the devices, always. She just doesn't seem to be able to process, "play a playlist on a different device". I have actually been able to get her to play a selected band on a different device with no issues. It just seems to be something with the playlists. Any thoughts??

malliekm

Re: How do I Play a Playlist from one dot to another?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 03:02:20 pm »
I had no idea you could do this...or I forgot that I knew  ::) 
I gave it a try.  First I told a Dot to play a song on Kitchen
and she did.  Then I asked it to "play my Phantom of the Opera
playlist on Kitchen".  Her reply was "I couldn't find anything named Kitchen".
Looks like it's not possible.  Just tried it on my GH and it does this too.  Cool!

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 07:58:29 am »
I haven't found a way to do it from one dot to another... but!... I have found you can use the phone app to pick an echo device and play something from one of your playlists on it... Not dot to dot, but is App to dot instead. Best workaround so far.

As a matter of fact, you can get different songs playing on every dot in the house... I have had 3 going at once with different music just to try it out. I am using an iPhone and played on an Echo, and 2 dots at the same time.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

Wespe4

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 09:35:23 am »
Yeah, I get the same response. She says cannot find anything called kitchen, or (Sons Room) but she plays songs in the other rooms, And even full albums, just not playlist. Now......I see a video on Amazon, on the New upgraded Alexa coming out on October 31st. In the video the guys Cleary says, " Alexa play my wake up music in dylans room", And it show the dot playing it. Pretty sure its a playlist he is commanding...Maybe its a new update coming soon. If so hopefully all of us with gen 3 dots get it as well. And hopefully we wont need to buy all new units....This definitely should be a stock command for these things. I mean who wouldn't want to play playlist from one unit to another. Such a simple and cool idea. Wake up kids!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 04:07:22 pm »
I had no idea you could do this...or I forgot that I knew  ::) 
I gave it a try.  First I told a Dot to play a song on Kitchen
and she did.  Then I asked it to "play my Phantom of the Opera
playlist on Kitchen".  Her reply was "I couldn't find anything named Kitchen".
Looks like it's not possible.  Just tried it on my GH and it does this too.  Cool!
hello,
It works on my GHs, I launched a radio station on my mini in my kitchen from my Home in my living room.
Hope it works too with my 2 future Echos...

StevenR

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 06:01:19 pm »
Strangely, playing Amazon Music playlists works on device groups for me (e.g. "Alexa, play (my playlist) playlist Everywhere" plays the playlist on the Everywhere group) but not on individual devices (says it can't find the device).

superspy

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 12:56:19 pm »
Hi guys,

did anybody get any further forward with this?

I've just bought my first echo devices (1 new echo and 2 dots) and have found the same issue.
I can play any music at all through Amazon Music Unlimited to any device, from any other device...until I try to do it with a playlist. As soon as I want to play a playlist I get the error saying it can't find the device, but it will play on a group.

Unless Amazon are planning on allowing us to put devices in multiple groups it's not like we can even rename the devices and put them in  group named after the room instead as a workaround.

Offline tthoben

• Greetings from sunny Singapore!
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 09:54:27 pm »
It can be done. You need to give each echo dot a unique name in Alexa settings.

For e.g. the command can be something like this: "Alexa, listen to my playlist nursery rhymes on Tan's BR echo dot
Echo Dot @ SG

superspy

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 05:48:00 am »
That's what I'm saying...that doesn't work for me (and seemingly others in this thread).

My setup:

Echo called "kitchen"
Dot called "living room"
Group containing both of them called "downstairs".

If I play an individual song\album\artist I can say which device I want to play it to: "Play Ed Sheeran on kitchen"...no problem what so ever.

I can also play a playlist to the downstairs group: "Play my favourites downstairs". Also no problem.

As soon as I want to play a playlist to a single device, it says it doesn't recognise the name: "Play my favourites on kitchen."......"Sorry, I couldn't find anything called kitchen, check your device names etc etc".

Offline tthoben

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 07:23:05 am »
Hmm ok maybe Amazon tweaked something again. It did work the last time I tried.

Here's the article I got the info from:
https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-launches-multi-room-music-playback-for-alexa/
Echo Dot @ SG

superspy

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 11:56:38 am »
Yeah, that article mentions songs\artists but doesn't specifically talk about playlists, which is where the issue seems to be.

Offline tthoben

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 09:28:42 pm »
Yeah, that article mentions songs\artists but doesn't specifically talk about playlists, which is where the issue seems to be.

It's probably a bug which should be fixed by Amazon if there's sufficient feedback sent to them
Echo Dot @ SG