Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo bleeps out the name of my town

jhon

Echo bleeps out the name of my town
« on: October 18, 2017, 05:38:37 pm »
I live in Punta Gorda, Florida. Any time I ask for the weather or anything that Alexa will respond with the name of my town, she bleeps out the Punta part. Can this be corrected?

Re: Echo bleeps out the name of my town
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 06:31:43 pm »
you need to contact amazon on this.   they may fix it as they fixed the way my town was pronounced. 

ericnrosesmom

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 03:26:19 pm »
Do you just go through the regular customer service? I live in La Porte, Indiana (pronounced la port) and she always says it like "la pert". it's silly but a pet peeve.

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 04:37:23 pm »
go to help and feedback in your alexa app.  when I did it, I sent them the phonetic pronouncation.   

jhon

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 01:08:02 pm »
I called yesterday and spent an hour on the phone with them. Then they submitted a work ticket and said someone on a higher level will fix it.

I will see what happens

asianrocker

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 09:05:50 pm »
That's funny that it bleeps Punta because the bleep-able word is actually without the n. Weird. But then again these AIs pronounce words weird sometimes.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 09:13:04 pm by asianrocker »

zaphod

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 06:33:45 pm »
i wonder though even with tickets submitted if this is an issue that will be resolved anytime soon. example Louisville, colorado and Louisville, Kentucky. one is louis-ville the other louiy-ville. so many places share the same names but are pronounced differently. kind of ironic that the previous post mentioned la porte Indiana when i went to public school in Laporte, Colorado.

*thought? for your location if you removed the zip code, then entered in location by name only. then put in letters that phonetically would still sound similar to punta gorda? slip an H after the letter N? or even a B rather than the P. again just a thought or until alexa can tell between the words punta and puta. good luck!

drunkpenguin

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 07:21:24 pm »
punta
Spanish for "end":

1) A point of land extending into a body of water.
2) Rude term for the buttocks, usually female.

strayfish

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 07:24:34 pm »
Mine's just begun coming out right: Alexa always pronounced Steyning as Staining, but now correctly says Stenning. Quite a smiley moment, that :)