« on: September 24, 2017, 12:49:39 am »
hi i need to add some phone numbers to echo so my wife
can call me hands free
Can you go through the method please
cheers 

malliekm

Re: add phone number
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 03:09:59 am »
Alexa products can't do that at this time. They can only call between Echo devices. Google Home devices can call all American and Canadian numbers.

chrisarvor

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 07:36:46 am »
Hi
Thanks for that reply 
I have just found this on the net and it would appear if you have the Alexa app on your phone with contact available to the alexa app it will call them or message them
i am just waiting for my alexa to be delivered ,so i will let you know
Cheers

asianrocker

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 08:05:15 am »
AM I in twilight zone? This is the second post I see people wanting Alexa to call/text hands free. Like you people don't know/can't do it on your smart phones seriously? Or you just want a new gadget to use it? I am really curious?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 08:08:52 am by asianrocker »

Offline kevb

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 09:24:47 am »
AM I in twilight zone? This is the second post I see people wanting Alexa to call/text hands free. Like you people don't know/can't do it on your smart phones seriously? Or you just want a new gadget to use it? I am really curious?

Maybe it's easier to find the Echo than the phone.

chrisarvor

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 10:39:49 am »
90  re...AM I in twilight zone? This is the second post I see people wanting Alexa to call/text hands free. Like you people don't know/can't do it on your smart phones seriously? Or you just want a new gadget to use it? I am really curious?

if you cant use your hands due to disability its a great item to have as for the twilight zone yes you are  :-X

malliekm

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 01:48:36 pm »
Hi
Thanks for that reply 
I have just found this on the net and it would appear if you have the Alexa app on your phone with contact available to the alexa app it will call them or message them
Cheers

would you mind posting the link where you go this information please?

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 03:12:14 pm »

big difference wanting to use alexa or doing it on your smart phone. 

StevenR

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 03:26:41 pm »
Hi
Thanks for that reply 
Cheers

would you mind posting the link where you go this information please?

They are probably referring to the fact that you can use the Alexa app to send and receive messages and voice messages and make calls (I'm not sure if you can also receive them). At least that is what the help pages say (I'm in the UK so can't test this out).

chrisarvor

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 11:43:49 pm »

RadLarriken

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 11:16:39 pm »
Hi I'm in the USA and now have the ability to call Mexico the USA and Canada using my Amazon Echo. To add a new number, just add the contact to your smartphone. The smartphone should have the Alexa app installed. Then you will be able to ask the Echo to dial a name like this: Alexa, dial Dave Wilson. In my experience it takes about an hour for new contacts to work with voice dialing on the Echo. Note that the new contact will not show up in your Alexa app contact list, unless that person also has an Alexa enabled device. The sound quality of the conversation is good at both ends. It is very convenient to be able to have a hands-free conversation, for instance while working in the kitchen. It's also useful for the elderly to be able to simply ask Alexa to place a call. And for the disabled it is a remarkably helpful function. I hope that Amazon will be able to add the ability to receive regular phone calls as well. Another useful feature would be if you could speak dialing commands, for instance while listening to a menu at the other end of the phone call, it would be great if you could say Alexa dial * 1 2 3 to respond to the menu prompts. I feel very fortunate to be living in a time when there are such wonderful technological advances. Even though the Amazon Echo is somewhat primitive, it is a glimpse of the future.

asianrocker

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 04:20:25 pm »
Tried it then remember I didn't bother to setup this feature. My phone is enough and can also do it hands free. It is the hub of all the new echos out that I REALLY want. Hopefully hub is really doable on my 'jurassic' echo. I will find a way for sure.

chrisarvor

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 09:29:14 am »
hands free phone   not quite the same is it ????  you have to touch the phone to turn it on

asianrocker

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 09:39:20 am »
Obviously not many people know ok Google can be used on a locked screen. Including you. ;D

I honestly don't use it. But tried from my lockscreen . And it did dial for me. What is more revealing is it did actually unlock my phone for me. Cool
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 10:50:39 pm by asianrocker »

malliekm

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 10:47:23 am »
I don't lock my phone but I know it can be used, hands free, from any screen but the display has to be on on my Galaxy S7.