Echo & Alexa Forums

Is the new Fire HD10 a Show killer?

Beetle-Snake

Is the new Fire HD10 a Show killer?
« on: September 19, 2017, 03:46:44 pm »
Just read about the new 10 inch tablet which will now have a 1080p screen resolution but more importantly hands free Alexa, even when in sleep mode. With its increased functionality and flexibility to have standing or carried around does this make the Show redundant?

Re: Is the new Fire HD10 a Show killer?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 04:15:44 pm »
sounds like a show killer. 

Jerome

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 03:13:59 am »
Its microphone and speaker might not be as powerful as the ones on a Show though.

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 05:26:20 am »
you have to stand in front of the show when you use it, so it may not make a difference. 

Beetle-Snake

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 06:34:35 am »
the speakers I think will be the big difference when streaming music - I hear good things about the sound quality on the Show but I guess adding a speaker either by cable or BT would easily solve that issue. I can see the HD10 working even better in the kitchen with a wall mount but the ability carry it around from room to room is a big plus over the Show and its cheaper - seems like a no-brainer unless I am missing something else the Show does better.

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 02:57:03 pm »
the speakers I think will be the big difference when streaming music - I hear good things about the sound quality on the Show but I guess adding a speaker either by cable or BT would easily solve that issue. I can see the HD10 working even better in the kitchen with a wall mount but the ability carry it around from room to room is a big plus over the Show and its cheaper - seems like a no-brainer unless I am missing something else the Show does better.

I totally agree with this.  I am waiting for reviews after it is released to see if it will do everything the show does.  being wall mountable would be a big plus  :-) 

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 07:35:52 am »
Agreed... Speakers being the only shortcoming, it will have no bearing on my purchase... and they come in RED (my Wife's favorite color)! Win Win Win. And a Helluvalot cheaper than a new iPad.

2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

Offline jwlv

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 12:15:38 pm »
Just by the physical size of a tablet, the speaker(s) inside has to be very flat. A flat speaker, no matter how loud they can make it, will not have the same audio reproduction qualities as a larger cone shaped speaker.

For some, including myself, audio quality is not a main concern. I don't listen to music much on my Echoes or Dots.

Jerome

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 05:18:08 pm »
I was interested in that tablet as a first step into the Android ecosystem (I own a Windows phone and am often missing apps) until I learned that FireOS does not allow access to the full Google Playstore or your Google account and that their Silk browser is disappointing  :-\
Sure you can sideload Chrome easily but cannot login into your Google account.
Oh well, this might not be the tablet for me.

asianrocker

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 07:27:44 pm »
Well I hope Amazon reads this. I honestly don't know what they were thinking when they conceptualized echo show designed like a freaking 80s big TV the miniature version. LOL.

I think that  echo and echo show does not work the same though? I mean I don't think this tablet with alexa will 'obey' or recognize the show command which is for echo show. Looks like this one will function like the alexa app.

Laurel

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 08:51:10 pm »
 We have two Echo Shows and love them. I don't see the Fire as even being close to what Show is utilized for.  I glance and see weather, see recipes, see all my pictures scrolling by if I so choose, see saw lyrics etc. etc. Can't see how a tablet would be the same.  Forgot to say the sound with music is wonderful and the intercom feature is super.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 08:52:59 pm by Laurel »

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 04:52:24 am »
We have two Echo Shows and love them. I don't see the Fire as even being close to what Show is utilized for.  I glance and see weather, see recipes, see all my pictures scrolling by if I so choose, see saw lyrics etc. etc. Can't see how a tablet would be the same.  Forgot to say the sound with music is wonderful and the intercom feature is super.

you could be right but until the new fire is released, there s no way to know.  according to the specs, you can use alexa hands free on it so hopefully it will also have some other show features  :-)

asianrocker

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 10:29:45 am »

Sorry to burst your bubble but you honestly didn't know a PC, smartphone or tablet can do all that? Just curious.

Laurel

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 01:07:13 pm »

Sorry to burst your bubble but you honestly didn't know a PC, smartphone or tablet can do all that? Just curious.
I have all of the above and no they do not do in the same way what a table model Show does. I like the retro design  also.  I would never haul around an ipad or tablet or my Note 8 to look at recipes in the kitchen. How many times have I used a tablet for my phone for a recipe propped on the counter and had it fade and I have to touch with goopy hands. I have a Show there in a good spot. Thus no flour or goop on the ipad when I need to push it over to make room for the muffin tin lol.  We just love having the digital picture frame always scrolling our pictures at a glance (not having to go into the tablet and open it and prop it up somewhere). For us it is a real step above the suggestions you made.  It is wonderful in our books. We all have different preference.

asianrocker

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 01:23:27 pm »

I have all of the above and no they do not do in the same way what a table model Show does. I like the retro design  also.  I would never haul around an ipad or tablet or my Note 8 to look at recipes in the kitchen. How many times have I used a tablet for my phone for a recipe propped on the counter and had it fade and I have to touch with goopy hands. I have a Show there in a good spot. Thus no flour or goop on the ipad when I need to push it over to make room for the muffin tin lol.  We just love having the digital picture frame always scrolling our pictures at a glance (not having to go into the tablet and open it and prop it up somewhere). For us it is a real step above the suggestions you made.  It is wonderful in our books. We all have different preference.

True. I do get that. But since I know what I know. I have a hard time paying for a 'new' gadget when my old gadget is capable of it and more. Now you made me want to turn my old tablet gathering dust into a digital picture frame, or maybe a security camera or maybe a media player.. LOL just playing with you.

Solution for your tablet screen not to fade is to set your display screen to never time out. I always do that when I use my phone for recipe.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 01:25:14 pm by asianrocker »