Echo & Alexa Forums

Dot Connecting to Fire TV/Intermittent issues

Mattr413

Dot Connecting to Fire TV/Intermittent issues
« on: September 15, 2017, 09:25:04 am »
So I've had my Echo Dot for a couple of days now and while I really enjoy it, I did run in to one issue. I use my Dot to connect to my five TV and will use the voice commands to pause, resume, rewind, etc the video that I'm watching. Last night I had a issue where I tried to use the voice commands but it was telling me it couldn't find the device and to check the network. A video was playing on my fire tv at the time so I'm sure it was connected to the network. So what I had to do was use the remote to go home and then I used the voice commends and it started working again. This happened twice to me last night. Admittedly I don't know much about issues like this and I'm new to smart home technologies.

I have a Netgear WNR3400 router with 10 connected devices though they weren't all doing stuff at this time. Does this sound like I just have too many devices connected to this router? Again, I never lost connection on my fire TV though my Dot said it couldn't connect.

mike27oct

Re: Dot Connecting to Fire TV/Intermittent issues
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 11:42:59 am »
It could be weak wi-fi between one of the devices.  Fire TV is behind TV and maybe at the far end of the wi-fi signal. Asking Alexa to discover devices likely will not help, because it does not detect my Fire TVs, just my 3 smart plugs.