Echo & Alexa Forums

How demonstrate Echo-Dot in someone else's home

Nisko

How demonstrate Echo-Dot in someone else's home
« on: September 14, 2017, 10:06:25 am »
My Echo-Dot is set up to work in my home.  I'd like to demonstrate it in someone else's home - but I can't get it to work.  Perhaps someone can tell me how to do this (without losing my setup in my own home??).  When I returned from my friend's home, I just plugged in my Echo-Dot and it worked with no further setup.  I'm baffled.

strayfish

Re: How demonstrate Echo-Dot in someone else's home
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 12:02:07 pm »
Probably a daft question, but did you go through setup to get it onto their network?

Laurel

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 01:10:16 pm »
My Echo-Dot is set up to work in my home.  I'd like to demonstrate it in someone else's home - but I can't get it to work.  Perhaps someone can tell me how to do this (without losing my setup in my own home??).  When I returned from my friend's home, I just plugged in my Echo-Dot and it worked with no further setup.  I'm baffled.
When we went on holidays and I took my Echo, I had to set it up to the wifi at the cabin. This is from one article. "When you’ve got your Dot or Echo positioned in its new location, plug it in and repeat setup in the Alexa app, just the same as you did when you first installed it in its original location. Yes, this even works in hotels and dorms now! When the Echo was first released it was not possible to connect it to WiFi hotspots or public networks of the type you’d typically find in a hotel or dormitory, but this is no longer the case!"

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 01:23:23 pm »
When you set up Alexa gadget in a second location, it will work there, and when you return home it will reconnect to the only signal it can connect to -- your wi-fi again.  When you return to the second location it's the same situation, except in reverse; it will connect at second location again.  If you cnage location in device you would need to change it back again when back at home.

Nisko

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 01:48:14 pm »
Yes, I tried to do that - but it got very confusing.  Alexa said I was now connected and I should complete the setup on the Alexa app.  That's where I got stuck.  If you would, please tell me the steps to connect my Echo-Dot to another router.  Or, perhaps there's a tutorial.  It should be simple, I know.  I know I must have done something wrong.  Still need help.  Thank you.

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 02:20:22 pm »
This is how you use the app to change the wi-fi connection (or add another one)

In app go to Settings from main menu.  Choose your device. The first thing listed is wi-fi setting, go into there and follow the instructions.

If you need more help, go to amazon.com site, select Help tab on main page, then choose Device Support.

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 03:15:01 pm »
you could always set it up on your phone using the phone as a hotspot.  this way you can set it up at home then demo it elsewhere.  this will save any embarrassment of it not working. 

Nisko

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 11:29:10 am »
Thank you all for your support.  I will try again to set it up in my friend's home tomorrow or Friday.