Echo & Alexa Forums

Background noise from a connected BT speaker

jdeacon

Background noise from a connected BT speaker
« on: September 11, 2017, 02:59:33 am »
Does anyone know what is happening when a Bluetooth speaker is connected but not outputting anything?

Half the time the speakers connected to my Dot emit a quiet hiss which I don't find surprising or too much of a nuisance. But half the time there is no hiss, instead there is a mains hum from one channel; and that's a bit too intrusive and I have to turn that speaker off, which partly defeats the purpose.

The speakers are still connected: if you ask Alexa for something, the hum stops the hiss returns, the command is followed, the hiss stops and then the hum comes back.

iolinux333

Re: Background noise from a connected BT speaker
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 07:38:43 am »
After struggling with Bluetooth for decades, I've given up on it. I hardwire everything I can now.

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 02:23:09 pm »
@iolinux333

I have no issues using BT.  I have not dealt with BT "for decades", as all my BT devices, speakers, etc are from past five years or so.  None of my BT speakers are plugged in for power other than Alexa devices, and my portable BT speakers run on rechargeable internal batteries.  BT has its limitations (range, delay, etc) but if one knows this, it can be managed.  What exactly is the problem you are currently experiencing?

asianrocker

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 08:41:02 pm »
I recently had a BT problem. It's PITA to be quite honest. I have tried everything I know still did not work. Finally gave up on it and tried again. Wow it works this time. With this gadgets sometimes if it does not work even though you know you are doing the right troubleshooting method, the appropriate way and to save your sanity really, is to leave it alone. For a day, then try again.

By the way, just moments ago my BT is not working again. All I did was turn my BT on/off and it works again. Such is life with this gadgets it's a hit or miss.

iolinux333

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 12:11:29 am »
@iolinux333

I have no issues using BT.  I have not dealt with BT "for decades", as all my BT devices, speakers, etc are from past five years or so.  None of my BT speakers are plugged in for power other than Alexa devices, and my portable BT speakers run on rechargeable internal batteries.  BT has its limitations (range, delay, etc) but if one knows this, it can be managed.  What exactly is the problem you are currently experiencing?

lol everything is wrong with Bluetooth. It was supposed to replace the serial cable and has been laughably less reliable even thirty years later. Even when it's working correctly for a while it's just one pushed software update from being broken again. In my three cars, it typically works correctly only in one. Next update it'll work in a different one and be broken in the car that used to work fine. I've used workarounds to get around workarounds and still do when hardwiring isn't practical.

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 03:25:27 am »
Well, BT in cars is one thing, modern BT in home audio devices seems to work pretty well.
In fact, when I got my Google Home recently I preferred its sound better than my Echo.  I thought it might have something to do with the Home having ability to cast music to Home vs Echo's BT.  Now that Home also has BT capability I have used both casting and BT on the Home, and I cannot tell the difference in sound quality and both sound good on the Home.