Echo & Alexa Forums

Music volume level

Msradell

Music volume level
« on: August 20, 2017, 01:22:07 pm »
My wife and I have been using our echo Dot with an external speaker to play music while we are going to sleep. The problem is however that no matter what type of music we are playing there are sections that are quite loud and sections that have a very low volume level. And anybody found a way to have Alexa compress the volume levels to give a more consistent volume level.

Also, as we only have 10 steps in the volume level getting additional steps would also be helpful.

mike27oct

Re: Music volume level
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 01:30:32 pm »
There is no way to compress the music more than it already is.  There are also more than 10 volume settings.  Have your used the plus and minus volume buttons on the Dot?  They help to fine-tune the volume between say, volume settings of 4 and 5 (etc).

malliekm

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 03:16:24 pm »
I didn't realize tuning the volume on the Echo/Dot gave you a more refined volume level.
That's another thing I like about GH.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 07:39:13 pm »
Well, Monica, RTFM!   ;)

malliekm

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 09:36:32 pm »
   ;)

mindmagic

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 05:48:10 am »
It depends on what you're listening to. I listen mostly to classical music and have found that some radio stations use a lot of compression while others have volume that varies considerably. It's not an Alexa problem and she doesn't have a solution.

Jeff29

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 02:04:34 am »
My wife and I have been using our echo Dot with an external speaker to play music while we are going to sleep. The problem is however that no matter what type of music we are playing there are sections that are quite loud and sections that have a very low volume level. And anybody found a way to have Alexa compress the volume levels to give a more consistent volume level.

Also, as we only have 10 steps in the volume level getting additional steps would also be helpful.

It seems your request has been misunderstood.

1st this is specifically an Amazon problem as the responsibility lies with the content delivery service.

What you are referring to is audio normalization across a given discrete channel.  Most pay services offer this and you are also likely used to it listening to broadcast radio [where normalization is a standard].  This has absolutely nothing to do with the volume settings.

Additionally Amazon documents volume has having 10 levels which you can set by specifying level "Alexa volume level 3."  Technically "level" is not the correct reference (volume is measured by sound pressure in a given 3-dimensional space) and there is no "fine-tuning" with regards to volume as only a single, "gross" control is available to users at this time (which is either a bug or oversight).

I have opened Ticket #012853375 with Amazon Technical Support regarding this and documented it at https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/echo-alexa/echo-devices/2247-amazon-music-unlimited-no-normilization-via-echo and with Amazon Music https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/digital-content/amazon-music/2365-does-the-amazon-music-unlimited-subscription-plan

If you would like this fixed please, please call Amazon techincal support and open a ticket and reference my ticket #012853375 so Amazon knows it is affecting all customers (they like to pretend all problems are specific to your device and only your device which is very frustrating for customers but somewhat understandable from a tier-1-scripting perspective).  If you're feeling particularly generous you could also post a supportive reply in the Music forum (link, above) so everyone knows you are seeing the same issue.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 02:23:35 am by Jeff29 »

mindmagic

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 05:14:26 am »
I don't like compression; it's terrible for classical music (except in a car). I wouldn't want it to be imposed by Amazon across the board.

Jeff29

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 06:46:46 pm »
Amazon just confirmed that normalization is part of their Amazon Music Unlimited offering--you can see this following the Amazon Music forum link (from my post, above) in posts between Jess O and me.

Jeff29

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 04:07:07 pm »
Update:  Amazon Executive Customer Service just corrected the initial response indicating normalization is not part of the Amazon Music Unlimited paid service.

Given this, I'll re-state my request.  Please call Amazon support and tell them you want normalization included as part of Amazon audio services.