Echo & Alexa Forums

How to set up Alexa to work with Lifx Groups?

AngelArs

How to set up Alexa to work with Lifx Groups?
« on: August 19, 2017, 09:51:32 pm »
I’m trying to use Alexa to control 4 Lifx bulbs in my master bedroom. The ceiling light uses 4 bulbs. I have named the bulbs Bedroom 1, Bedroom 2, Bedroom and, Bedroom 4.

The bulbs turn on/off fine when I control each bulb separately through the Lifx app. For obvious reasons I need all 4 bulbs to turn on/off in unison. To do this I have made a group named Bedroom which controls all 4 bulbs.

However, Alexa does not see the group. Alexa DOES see each bulb separately. For obvious reasons it would be a pain to ask Alexa to turn on/off each bulb one by one.

How can I get Alexa to see the group so I can control all the bulbs together?

Re: How to set up Alexa to work with Lifx Groups?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 11:04:12 pm »
create the group in the alexa app. 

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 12:10:23 pm »
Have you asked Alexa to discover devices since you made the group in the app that controls the lights? Usually it finds the group as a device as well.

Also, to note, Alexa doesn't like naming things by number much. If it were me, I'd name the bulbs "Bedroom North" "Bedroom South" "Bedroom East" and "Bedroom West" or something easy to remember as well... I'd also set up separate groups like "Bedroom Low" and "Bedroom High" or "Bedroom Bright" and "Bedroom Dim", and pick only two to control on dim and all 4 for Bright... even if they can be dimmed this is a cool way to have even more control.

I have a few Hue Bulbs and Strips and use similar tactics for naming. In My bedroom, I named a group for all bulbs, and call it "Bedroom", and named the light on my wife's side of the bed "Her Light" and the one on my side "His Light" so they are easily handled as singles and as a group. I'm still working on how to get control of the Ceiling fan lighting, as it's currently a remote controlled fan with dimming function built in and double dimmers don't work with Hue lighting at all... I wish they'd go ahead and release the "Bond" remote replacement unit...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

AngelArs

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 09:58:29 pm »
create the group in the alexa app.

Thanks Renegade600  :)