Echo & Alexa Forums

Dot sometimes doesn't turn on

rusty

Dot sometimes doesn't turn on
« on: August 14, 2017, 04:33:29 am »
I unplug my dot every night but when I plug it in the next morning it sometimes takes ages to come on, sometimes it comes straight on others nothing for ages, it took five minutes before it came on this morning . Any ideas anyone?

Re: Dot sometimes doesn't turn on
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 09:50:48 am »
What is the reasoning for unplugging the Dot?
Do you unplug your router too?

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 10:06:36 am »
I use a Dot in my car and I've noticed that the boot-up time varies sometimes. But I think it has to do with my car's 4G LTE connection to the internet. It seems that the blue ring would continue much longer if the internet connection is not available immediately.

You did not mention if you also turn off your router and/or modem. I've had both DSL and cable internet before. Whenever the modem is powered off and powered on again, the time that it takes for it to get back online can range wildly between almost immediately to upwards of  10 minutes. If this describes your scenario, the Dot's blue ring will continue for as long as the internet is not available or until it gives up several minutes later.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 01:09:29 pm »
Turning electronic gadgets completely off and on is not good for them, because the turn on again can harm them as this is when most gadgets get blown; even light bulbs have this issue.  Best to leave most on.  Even when some are turned off they actually are in a standby state (e.g. a TV).  For gadgets I use often throughout the day, they remain on 24/7.  Some gadgets ( e.g. a Dot) do not even have a power switch anymore for this reason.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:23:48 pm by mike27oct »

rusty

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 07:42:15 am »
Thanks guys , I unplug most things before bed as an old habit safety thing that was done by my parents so carried on doing this.
Im going to keep it plugged in from now on as your right there's no need to unplug.
The silence after asking it to play radio or music happens sometimes, ironically a switch off then on normally gets it working again.

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 08:17:36 pm »
Thanks guys , I unplug most things before bed as an old habit safety thing that was done by my parents so carried on doing this.
Im going to keep it plugged in from now on as your right there's no need to unplug.
The silence after asking it to play radio or music happens sometimes, ironically a switch off then on normally gets it working again.

if you are worried about leaving things plugged in, use a surge protector. 

rusty

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 11:53:44 pm »
Good thinking, something I hadn't thought of. Thanks again