Echo & Alexa Forums

Change the name Alexa knows me as

Laurel

Re: Change the name Alexa knows me as
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2017, 03:34:26 pm »
My wife just gave me a couple of suggestions regards topic ;D ;)

As a wife of 49 years, I just changed mine to "Ray's slave".  Hubby got a good laugh.

Lucky Ray ;D

Thanks!  Hubby says to me "I hope you are enjoying yourself" whenever Alexa calls me Ray's slave lol.

ziipppp

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2017, 01:34:43 pm »
Thanks Brain for the detailed response. I have a slightly weird different issue (maybe).

When I go to "contacts" the My Profile name is NOT me. Its another name and phone number (that weirdly IS in my contact address book, but is not anyone I know that I can figure out).

I don't seem to be able to edit it - I go through all the steps to get to the "written bigger" My Profile name, but there is no "edit to the right of the title bar" or indeed anywhere else that I can see - the instructions seem to break down here.

I have a second person in my contacts address book that IS me. But it doesn't say "My Profile". It also doesn't seem to be editable.

I've now deleted the rogue address from phone contact list, hoping this might force a reset, but no such luck yet.

I bought all my devices new, so I don't think this is a legacy holdover, but its really strange and a bit upsetting to have "My Profile" not be me, and not be able to edit it.

Any suggestions on how to do a "reset" or another way to force an edit of this profile? Thanks!

You actually CAN change this, but it's well hidden.  Here are the steps:

NOTE: If this does not work for you, you *might* have to go through the set up voice recognition steps for the John Doe account (whatever your current default account is) first. Those are the steps where the Echo will give you 10 things to say so it can learn to recognize your voice.  Once that is complete....

1) Open the Alexa app.  On the bottom of the home screen you should see three icons:
i. a house (home screen shortcut)
ii. a talk bubble (a "Conversations" shortcut)
iii. what looks like a segmented bar graph (the Music shortcut)

Click on the "Conversations" icon.

2) You'll see at the top of the screen your name (or what the app thinks it is) and the text "Now you can call and message your friends a..."

ABOVE that, on the title bar you will see:
i. The "hamburger" menu icon.
ii. the word "Conversations"
iii. an icon that looks like a person  (like this  ---> oC but rotated 90* clockwise)
iv. an "Edit" icon (a square with a pencil in it)

Click on the person icon (  the oC one)

3) You should now be on the "Contacts" screen.  At the top, under the title bar You will see something like:
John Doe
My Profile

but with your name instead of John Doe

Tap on your name (IOW, the "John Doe My Profile" text at the top)

4) This will take you to a screen that shows your profile.  It will say in larger than normal font
John Doe at the top of the screen, under the title bar.

In the title bar on the right you will see the word "Edit"

Click on it.

5) The next screen will allow you to edit your first and last name (John and Doe, iow).  This does NOT affect your Amazon account!  This is kinda like your Alexa caller ID.

Change the first name to something else like "Yourhighness" or "Ohkaygoogle" or whatever.  The last name doesn't matter.

6) Click on "Done" and the top right of the title bar.  Give it a second and ask Alexa

"Alexa, who am I?" and you'll hear something like:

"I'm talking to Yourhighness.  This is John's account"

Alexa will now call you Yourhighness.

HTH

ziipppp

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2017, 04:31:00 pm »
Quick update. I delete the app on my phone. I then reinstalled it. (I'm not allowing any contact permission with my address book).
Good news - the My Profile now has my name as the default.
Weird news - that rogue contact that showed up originally as My Profile (and has since been deleted from my address book) STILL shows up in contacts as my only other "contact". Very weird.
So then - just for kicks - I decided to give "share contact permission" to the app, to see if I could flush this, and got an error. Its all really weird.
So switched off permissions again, and here we set. Me on top and this rogue contact underneath. Still no way of editing anything though (ie there is no 'edit' option to the right of the name or title bar)

razzell2

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 09:19:36 am »
You actually CAN change this, but it's well hidden.  Here are the steps:

NOTE: If this does not work for you, you *might* have to go through the set up voice recognition steps for the John Doe account (whatever your current default account is) first. Those are the steps where the Echo will give you 10 things to say so it can learn to recognize your voice.  Once that is complete....

1) Open the Alexa app.  On the bottom of the home screen you should see three icons:
i. a house (home screen shortcut)
ii. a talk bubble (a "Conversations" shortcut)
iii. what looks like a segmented bar graph (the Music shortcut)

Click on the "Conversations" icon.

2) You'll see at the top of the screen your name (or what the app thinks it is) and the text "Now you can call and message your friends a..."

ABOVE that, on the title bar you will see:
i. The "hamburger" menu icon.
ii. the word "Conversations"
iii. an icon that looks like a person  (like this  ---> oC but rotated 90* clockwise)
iv. an "Edit" icon (a square with a pencil in it)

Click on the person icon (  the oC one)

3) You should now be on the "Contacts" screen.  At the top, under the title bar You will see something like:
John Doe
My Profile

but with your name instead of John Doe

Tap on your name (IOW, the "John Doe My Profile" text at the top)

4) This will take you to a screen that shows your profile.  It will say in larger than normal font
John Doe at the top of the screen, under the title bar.

In the title bar on the right you will see the word "Edit"

Click on it.

5) The next screen will allow you to edit your first and last name (John and Doe, iow).  This does NOT affect your Amazon account!  This is kinda like your Alexa caller ID.

Change the first name to something else like "Yourhighness" or "Ohkaygoogle" or whatever.  The last name doesn't matter.

6) Click on "Done" and the top right of the title bar.  Give it a second and ask Alexa

"Alexa, who am I?" and you'll hear something like:

"I'm talking to Yourhighness.  This is John's account"

Alexa will now call you Yourhighness.

HTH

Well done @brain21 👏👏
I'd been wondering how to get Alexa to call me by the name everyone in my household calls me.
Now Alexa calls me,
Take Out The Trash You Lazy Old Man.
All is right with the world.
Thank you for your easy to follow instructions.

Finnrkusu

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2018, 10:37:56 pm »
Thanks Brain21!  I am now "Your Highness" until I can think of something wittier. lol

Unfortunately it seems to be limited to only 2 words
Means i can't be
Juan Sánchez Villa-Lobos Ramírez
So it's either
Tyler durden
Or
Inigo Montoya
Can you tell I like movie references