Echo & Alexa Forums

More GH Quirkiness

malliekm

More GH Quirkiness
« on: August 06, 2017, 03:57:21 pm »
I SO love this personal assistant.  Just when you think you know her, she throws a curve ball LOL
Last night I said, "Hey Google, goodnight".  That is suppose to turn off the bedroom light.  But last night
the lights didn't turn off.  Instead I got this..."buenas noches now  you can dream in Spanish" LOL
So I tried again and she replied with, "sleep tight don't let the bedbugs bite" and then something
about an exterminator LOLOL!
Third time was the charm..."hey Google, goodnight"..."Ok, turning off the light". 
I've repeated the command a few times but nothing more about dreaming in Spanish or bedbugs ;)

Re: More GH Quirkiness
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 06:16:09 pm »
might want to change the name to turn off the bedroom lights.  Like alexa, GH has a reply for goodnight and it can get it confused. 

malliekm

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 07:20:24 pm »
I used to use "turn off bedroom light" but I found "goodnight" in a GH tip email.  It's worked till last night.  It's working again.  I found it funny and appreciated the laugh :)

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 11:43:03 pm »
Alexa used to say ... don't let the bed bugs bite, but stopped doing so almost a year ago it seems.

I figure too many people complained to Amazon something like "that's gross", so Amazon deep sixed that comment. LOL. too.  Bedbugs are nasty.....ouch!  Never had 'em, thank Alexa.

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 04:19:16 am »
Alexa used to say ... don't let the bed bugs bite, but stopped doing so almost a year ago it seems.

I figure too many people complained to Amazon something like "that's gross", so Amazon deep sixed that comment. LOL. too.  Bedbugs are nasty.....ouch!  Never had 'em, thank Alexa.

too bad, it is a common saying from years gone by.   I grew up with " good night, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite."   People are just so sensitive these days. 

malliekm

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 11:37:02 am »
>People are just so sensitive these days.<
That's the understatement of the year!

strayfish

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 01:46:57 pm »

too bad, it is a common saying from years gone by.   I grew up with " good night, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite."   People are just so sensitive these days. 

Our approach to bugs was more generic, we just said 'Mind the bugs don't bite' so it seems any bugs would do! Never heard it from Alexa but GH gives me the bugs and also Bedfordshire, although sometimes it's just a rather curt 'Goodnight'. Probably her night off ...

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 03:13:43 pm »
>People are just so sensitive these days.<
That's the understatement of the year!

How about understatement -- ever!