Echo & Alexa Forums

My hue lights are turning back on when Amazon Echo disconnects from wifi

Th3On3Fr33man

This has happened on two occasions now. In the middle of the night, the lights suddenly turn back on. Amazon Echo says “There is a problem connecting to the wifi”

This is a huge annoyance and has woken up my girlfriend and I on multiple occasions now.

First, how do I stop the echo from telling me that it's disconnected from the wifi? I don't care if it's disconnecting in the middle of the night, I'm asleep and it's very loud.

Second, how do i set it up so that if the hue lights are off, they will stay off regardless of whether or not the Echo (which I used voice commands to turn the hue lights off) is connected to the wifi? (I realize this may be a Hue problem, so I have posted on their forums about this as well).

Offline kevb

I would guess that you briefly lost power overnight. Hue bulbs will turn on after a power outage, and the Echo may have turned on before router booted up.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 08:59:16 am by kevb »

I would guess that you briefly lost power overnight. Hue bulbs will turn on after a power outage, and the Echo may have turned on before router booted up.

that is what it sounds like.  I know whenever I have a power outage or the power flickers long enough to affect things, my house lights up like a christmas tree.  I have three brands of smartbulbs (including the hue) and they all do it.  finally had to setup a group to turn everything off at once. 

as far as the voice, saying there is a problem with wifi, I doubt you can do anything about it without affecting the alarm volume.  If you do not use the alarm on the echo, you can turn the sound down.

asianrocker

as far as the voice, saying there is a problem with wifi, I doubt you can do anything about it without affecting the alarm volume.  If you do not use the alarm on the echo, you can turn the sound down.

No it won't affect your alarm volume if you turn down your volume to even 0.  I know coz I use the timer a lot and I have ALL alarm, timer, reminder volumes to max. I usually have my echo volume turn down when not using it and once my alarm goes off. It's way too loud. The OP can just turn down the volume at night. And set ALL alarm, timer, reminder volumes to max. That will work.

Offline jwlv

I wonder why these smart bulbs can't just go to its last known state after the power goes out? If it was on before the power outage then turn it on when when the power comes back. Same for if it was off. I'm pretty sure that the hub knows and remembers the last known state. 

I wonder why these smart bulbs can't just go to its last known state after the power goes out? If it was on before the power outage then turn it on when when the power comes back. Same for if it was off. I'm pretty sure that the hub knows and remembers the last known state. 

now that would be nice

Offline kevb

Supposedly it's a safety issue- a fire or rescue team can turn the switch (presuming there is one!) off then on, and the lights will come on at full brightness. Beats trying to find a remote or phone (or even Alexa!) in the middle of an emergency.