Echo & Alexa Forums

wink has been sold - again

wink has been sold - again
« on: July 28, 2017, 07:13:57 am »
Wink — the smart home hub and platform originally incubated inside the failed connected object maker Quirky, and then acquired by Flextronics (now known as Flex) as part-payment for Quirky’s debts — has moved on to its third owner. i.am+, the “lifestyle technology company” owned by musician and entrepreneur Will.i.am, has acquired the company for an undisclosed sum.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/27/i-am-buys-wink-the-smart-home-hub-previously-owned-by-flextronics/

-------
might be time to switch to another hub.   the i.am+ has no real experience.

Offline kevb

Re: wink has been sold - again
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 07:47:04 am »
I don't think the author of that article has any real experience either- Wink is nothing like an Echo or GH.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 10:17:21 am »
Wink has been doomed since Flex took over.

Flex had already been manufacturing Wink’s hardware — which includes a smart home hub (similar to Amazon’s Echo or Google’s Home hub) and a touchscreen home controller that link up your various connected objects in your home, from light bulbs to music to apps.

I don't know why TechCrunch would make a comparison between a smart home hub and an Amazon Echo. That's like saying a cow rancher manufactures genuine leather (similar to Ford's Mustang or Chevy's Corvette). That just makes one wonder what credibility TechCrunch has.

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 03:38:21 pm »
whether you agree or not, wink is a smart home assistance just without a voice.   It does a whole lot more than just run your smart lights.    Have you actually look at the list of devices compatible with it?   

I am just worry that with their new owners history (smartwatch failure) it could go downhill quick.