Echo & Alexa Forums

2 echo dots - 1 bluetooth speaker?

dsid

2 echo dots - 1 bluetooth speaker?
« on: July 21, 2017, 11:45:47 am »
I was told that there's a way to have 2 echo dots share 1 bluetooth speaker.

I haven't been able to figure this out. I setup one echo dot in the living room and connected it to a bluetooth speaker and the 2nd echo dot was setup in the kitchen.

I can only get the echo dot in the living room to play via the bluetooth speaker.  The one in the kitchen is utilizing the internal speaker.  Both echos are on the same amazon account (on the phone).

Wondering if anyone else has any success doing this or can offer additional insight.

mike27oct

Re: 2 echo dots - 1 bluetooth speaker?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 12:14:24 pm »
Turn off Dot that plays through speaker while you set up other.  You must get the Dot and speaker paired like the other.  You can only play via one Dot at a time; no concurrent connection to both works.

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 06:23:39 pm »
You must also tell alexa to disconnect from Blue tooth when you change dots... but they can certainly both use the same speaker... just one at a time, ask the one you're closest to, to connect to bluetooth when you wish to play, and ask to disconnect when done to allow the next round of listening to be chosen by the user/dot that asks first...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

iolinux333

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 03:33:10 am »
My Bose Mini Soundlink 2 will connect two dots at the same time, but every two days or so the connection drops because the Bose software is garbage and they've not updated it in nearly two years.

tigz

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 05:16:06 am »
Hah. Echo support told me you could only hook one device to a single bluetooth speaker and I took what they said at face value. Thanks for letting me know it can be done!