Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa Scenes with TP-Link and Wemo Smart Plugs

superdave67

Alexa Scenes with TP-Link and Wemo Smart Plugs
« on: July 21, 2017, 11:11:44 am »
I've got two TP-Link smart plugs and one Wemo smart plug (and obviously an Echo Dot, two actually).  One of the TP-Links controls a fan, while the other two (TP-Link and Wemo) control lights.  I want to create a Scene that turns the lights off and the fan on (bedtime).  While I can get the Scene to work with the TP-Link devices, I can't find a way to incorporate the Wemo into that scene.  Is that even possible?  Having two different smart plug manufacturers part of the same Scene?

Thanks all,
Dave

malliekm

Re: Alexa Scenes with TP-Link and Wemo Smart Plugs
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 11:55:55 pm »
I don't know but will be interested in finding out.  All my (3) outlets are TP-links.  Why not strike up a chat session with TP-Link and ask them? 

superdave67

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 11:21:11 am »
This isn't a TP-Link specific issue, but rather getting the TP-Link smart plug and the Wemo smart plug used under the same Scene. 

malliekm

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 11:24:27 am »
Maybe tp-link could tell you whether or not that was possible.

superdave67

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 02:41:14 pm »
Sooo, anyone else have any constructive information on how to get a Wemo device and a TP-Link device working in a single Alexa Scene?

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 03:32:56 pm »
I would think it can't work, being plugs are by two different manufacturers.  I would solve this by using all TP mini smart plugs and give the wemo away or relegate it to a single control of something else.  If you bail on the wemo completely, then you can delete the wemo app, too.  Who needs all these apps anyway!

superdave67

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 04:07:09 pm »
mike27oct, thank you... that is in fact my current plan of action, but was hoping there was a way to incorporate all my smart plug devices into one Scene, but I suppose that's not possible.

It seems that "Scenes" are specific to the device manufacturer, as opposed to just the Echo... as i thought they were.   Oddly, it doesn't even appear the Wemo devices even have the capability of using Scenes, while they have "rules", they don't seem to work the same way. 

But for now, as you've suggested, I've moved the two TP-Link devices to the bedroom (Light and fan), while using the Wemo device in another part of the house not affiliated with my "Bedroom Scene".

Thanks all,
Dave

malliekm

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 04:28:35 pm »
"it can't work, being plugs are by two different manufacturers. "

Yep this is what tp-link technical support said , via Chat, when I took the time to ask them, since the OP  didn't seem too impressed with my reply   :P

Offline jwlv

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 07:43:53 pm »
All my smart plugs are from one manufacturer, so I'm only speculating when I say the following.

In the Alexa app, you can add your smart devices into groups. For example, I've added these devices into a group named "outside lights":  front yard, back yard, front door.

So whenever I say, "Alexa, turn off outside lights" the three smart plugs that are part of this group will turn off. I'm fairly certain it'll still work even if your smart plugs are made by different manufacturers.

If you use a hub, like ones from Philips Hue or Samsung SmartThings, then it probably will not work.

malliekm

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 08:48:30 pm »
All my smart plugs are from one manufacturer, so I'm only speculating when I say the following.

In the Alexa app, you can add your smart devices into groups. For example, I've added these devices into a group named "outside lights":  front yard, back yard, front door.

So whenever I say, "Alexa, turn off outside lights" the three smart plugs that are part of this group will turn off. I'm fairly certain it'll still work even if your smart plugs are made by different manufacturers.

If you use a hub, like ones from Philips Hue or Samsung SmartThings, then it probably will not work.

jwlv, according to TP-Link ts, it won't work, but maybe it will...

superdave67

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 09:45:23 pm »
The Groups may very work in respect to turning ALL ON or ALL OFF, but the "Scenes" require a little more... logic... such as turning some devices ON while others are OFF, and/or even dimmed or colors changed. 

As for contacting TP-Link... I didn't think this was an issue that TP-Link could solve directly, as it involves another companies product (Wemo) connecting to an Echo Scene (yet another manufacture's product).  Although... yes, they could have provided information on this action not even being possible. 

asianrocker

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 12:44:57 am »
Sooo, anyone else have any constructive information on how to get a Wemo device and a TP-Link device working in a single Alexa Scene?

I think this is what you need. Google fauxmo. I know programming coz I studied it. But really confused on what to do with it. Good luck.

I actually wonder if you don't even need to own a hub for it to work which is what I am looking for.

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 05:15:51 am »
might want to check ifttt apps.