Echo & Alexa Forums

Sirius streams - any customization?

babaganoosh

Sirius streams - any customization?
« on: July 17, 2017, 01:19:47 pm »
My wife has a sirius subscription for the car. On my phone, I got into listening to the 70s.  There's a setting in the ios app to choose some things - talk or just music, lots of variety vs. just hits, early 70s vs. later 70s, etc.

It seems to not be the actual 70s channel you would hear on the radio.

The sirius skill seems to play just the actual station? Can you get rid of the voices / ads / promos? Customize the music?

dan8379

Re: Sirius streams - any customization?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 03:23:25 pm »
I don't quite understand the question--the Amazon skill plays exactly what is on the Sirius XM station (as designed).  If you select the 70's channel it should be the same as what you would hear if you were in your car and turned it on (though probably a bit of a lag).

babaganoosh

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 06:48:04 pm »
Amazon skill plays exactly what is on the Sirius XM station

Thanks.  On the IOS app, it doesn't do that (which was a surprise for me).  on the ios app, it seems like a custom stream of songs from the 70s (for the 70's on 7 channel, likely similar for the other channels).  in the IOS app, there's sliders that let you tweak the type of songs you hear.

I was envisioning before listening on the echo that the skill would allow that same customization. But as you say, yeah, it seems just to be the radio feed itself. 

Good since the custom feed on the ios app is actually quite bad - loads of repeats and some weird songs like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu5hzc2Mei4

Really!   They play that song at least 1x a day!

But bad, cause I just want songs, not talk : )

But thanks for the reconfirmation!

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 10:39:07 pm »
What? You don't like Dead Skunks in the middle of the road?  ;)

I remember that one from when I was a kid... when it was popular and newly released... we were in grade school and loved the humor of it all. Nowadays... it's even funnier.

All this sirius talk makes me wonder why pay for any radio service as long as I have internet access... I have so much of my own recordings and can access so many stations and services for free (Yeah... with commercials... no big deal normally)... If I want commercial free... I use my 12k songs... if I don't know what I want to listen to I let the automatic DJ do it for me with a suggestion from me.

2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!