Echo & Alexa Forums

Using outside the US

xbmcnut

Re: Using outside the US
« Reply #120 on: October 30, 2016, 06:28:54 pm »
So following Paphle, I was able to add in any address but I had to put the label=null or label="" and it accepted the address.  The echo still thinks it's in the US address I changed in the Settings.  The label is also the same as the US address I inputted.  Will leave it for the night and see if the label updates...

Edit:  Left it for the night and it did not update my location.  The label stayed the same and asking for the Weather gives me the US address I changed it too :(.

It looks like the “label” is everything now. If I first set the label to just “label”:”” or “label”:null, it will let me complete all steps in the magic order however, the label never updates like it used to prior to 1st October and therefore the address never changes. I’ve tried a dozen different ways of typing the label field data and all return 400 bad request. 🙁

eli

« Reply #121 on: November 22, 2016, 06:19:22 am »
Hi All
I have followed all the detailed instructions in terms of using Chrome extension Request Maker.
I have followed the instructions exactly, but when I make a change in the browser to the location and "save it", the request maker , does not show any information.
I know its working, because if I brows =to another web page, Request Maker displays the data!!
Any ideas anyone?
Many thanks
Eli

xbmcnut

« Reply #122 on: November 24, 2016, 02:33:59 am »
I have followed the instructions exactly, but when I make a change in the browser to the location and "save it", the request maker , does not show any information.
Are you using "Send" top right when you edit the timezone?

darkempriss

« Reply #123 on: December 01, 2016, 12:29:55 am »
I followed the instructions and managed to change the time zone (in Calgary, AB Canada to MST), but entering any other parameters i.e. city "Calgary" comes up with a 400 bad error. I tried making changes to each of the fields to see what was causing the error, but anything I enter beyond changing the time zone comes up with an error. Help?

xbmcnut

« Reply #124 on: December 01, 2016, 02:51:31 am »
but anything I enter beyond changing the time zone comes up with an error. Help?
That is normal behaviour now if you read back through the blog. Amazon blocked everything else just prior to the Dot V2 release.

aik100

« Reply #125 on: December 01, 2016, 11:39:55 am »
Sorry to bother you with this but,  I loaded the requester and got the details from the system.  I am not sure how to now make the time zone change and submit it.   It seems to need me to separate the header from the fields.   Can you post or explain an example put request so I can change my timezone to Asia/Hong Kong   ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

xbmcnut

« Reply #126 on: December 01, 2016, 02:36:34 pm »
Can you post or explain an example put request so I can change my timezone to Asia/Hong Kong?

Thank you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T7kCfsOGYA

AlexDrepager

« Reply #127 on: February 02, 2017, 09:55:41 am »
When writing an essay or any other academic work, pay attention to the word order. http://smartessayrewriter.com/blog/how-to-make-your-essay-concise Even if you are familiar with the grammar rules of using inversions, stick to the classic variant. Now we will tell you why it is so important.

LadyGresley

« Reply #128 on: July 05, 2017, 07:44:25 am »
I know this is an old thread, but I'm a new Dot owner, and thank you for all the help on here.  I've managed to get my Dot to know where I am!  I used Request Maker and kept getting 400 error, then on closer inspection of the code, I noticed it had put (after the bit where it says my city, England, postcode, GB) it had put <br /> between the postcode and the GB - deleted this and hey presto, it works  :D
Hope this helps someone else  :D

greatg67

« Reply #129 on: July 10, 2017, 01:52:39 pm »
Just got my new Echo all set up. I live in Niagara Falls ON. Tried to use this procedure, but keeps coming back with 400 error? Could use some advise/help (any Canucks get this working?)

I have it all working now  using request maker I even got it to change the weather to my local area (my own post code) and its spot on.  I can also now find nearby information such as takeaway, hospitals etc.

Install request maker in Chrome.
Log onto Alexa on my PC http://alexa.amazon.com/
Go to settings.
Change address to an American address.
Then save.

On the top/right - select the envelope and looked for the XHR PUT pitangui.amazin.com/api/…
Then use request maker to edit raw text as follows:

Important: DO NOT change the label value at any point!

Firstly, set your timeZoneId (e.g.  America/Toronto), leave everything else as is and hit “Send”.

Then, add the following to your request (keep the timeZoneId changed, each step builds on the last):
1. Set the city value to your city/suburb  (e.g. Toronto)
2. Set countryCode (e.g. CA)
3. Set county (e.g. Toronto)
4. Set district (most likely — null)
5. Set houseNumber (e.g. 54)
6. Press “Send” to send those values

Then, once those have been sent, add changes to the following in the same way:
1. Set the first postalCode (e.g. M5K 6G4)
2. Set state (e.g. ON)
3. Set street (e.g. Grand Lake)
4. Press “Send” to send those values
Lastly:

1. Update the second postalCode  (e.g. M5K 6G4)
2. Press “Send” to send that value.

The Label will update itself based on your input above. Weather and asking for nearby restaurants all work. Asking for my location also gives me the correct information.

So long as you get 200 OK it will be successful. [emoji1] 🇨🇦

Cheers,
Alex

Cheers,
Alex

ddalder

« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2017, 08:39:36 pm »
I've had no success either.  I followed the order to the letter.  I also am wondering if anyone else in Canada has had success (more recently than these instructions were originally posted).  I did update "timeZoneId":"Canada/Mountain" with no difficulty.

After having no success with the directions/order Alex posted, I tried updating distanceUnits":"METRIC" and ,"temperatureScale":"CELSIUS" manually as a matter of curiosity to see if I'd get a "200 OK" (which did work).  I tried playing with a bunch of other parameters as well, all with no success.  It didn't choke when I changed "supportedLocales":["en-US","en-CA","en-GB","de-DE"] (to include en-CA) but it didn't seem to add any enhanced functionality.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 08:44:40 pm by ddalder »

istvanszucs

« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2017, 05:28:48 am »
I can only confirm, that I get 200 if the label is null, but this way nothing changes. I can't get a non 400 response if I play with the Label, and try to set an address in Hungary. :-(
Interestingly Austria works, but it works from the GUI as well.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #132 on: August 09, 2017, 02:50:31 pm »
It's been reported by several users that around May 2017, there was an update that rendered the timezone/location workaround mentioned above ineffective.

That means you will no longer be able to change your location to a place that Amazon does not support using the above methods. If another method exists, no one has gone public with it yet.

twistedspokebrewing

« Reply #133 on: October 06, 2017, 09:07:41 am »
has anyone managed to find a workaround for this yet? =(

tetraecho

« Reply #134 on: December 09, 2017, 07:13:50 pm »