Echo & Alexa Forums

Hands-Free Causing Bluetooth Issues with Tap?

KGB

Hands-Free Causing Bluetooth Issues with Tap?
« on: June 20, 2017, 03:55:15 pm »
I've had a Tap since it was released and during the warmer weather, I often use it connected via Bluetooth to play podcasts or Apple Music from my iPhone. Last summer, I used it with no issue, it had a rock solid, very far ranging BT connection. However, this year, I've been plagued with random pops and skips when using Bluetooth, even with the phone sitting next to the Tap. These skips occur multiple times per hour, and they are very variable as to how frequently they appear. I don't have any issues with my Echo, which I've been using via BT year-round.

One thing that is different between this year and last is the software update allowing hands-free interaction with the Tap. I was lucky enough to get a replacement Tap and during some limited testing, it seemed to fix the issue. However, I had to leave soon after its arrived and it updated to the new software version and the skips have returned. (although I did turn on hands-free as well) I ran through all of the Amazon troubleshooting with my original Tap -- restarting, clearing and re-pairing all BT connections, resetting the Tap as new, etc. Nothing helped.

Anyone else experiencing this?

mike27oct

Re: Hands-Free Causing Bluetooth Issues with Tap?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 07:14:09 pm »
Interesting issue.  I have two Taps and have not had this issue.  I am listening to one of them as my iPad plays music to it via BT.  The quality is excellent since the music is being streamed to iPad app that is being served from my WD NAS device.

There are a lot of variables here, and in your case, too; in fact, as I was listening for any problems, I did cause some skipping, because I was sitting typing at computer between the iPad and Tap, and when I moved them away, I still caused some interference as I buzzed around the kitchen.  BT is a wireless radio signal, and human bodies (large dogs, too) can easily disturb RF signals.  Even when my wife came downstairs where I was, the sound skipped and she asked "What was that?"

Now, they are in a room where there is no traffic next to me and all is working well.

There you go; no problems with the Tap; it's just all the variables that cause issues.

Interesting side note is that I recently got a Google Home, and it does not have BT, but chromecast instead.  Streaming my music to it is not disturbed at all as it can be via BT.