Echo & Alexa Forums

Enter the password for "Amazon-1MM" error when trying to connect Echo Device

pal4life

Hello,
I am trying to follow the steps to connect Echo to my phone, I am changing the wifi it was on. I started to receive this error with the Amazon echo where its asking me password for this Amazon-1MM wifi.
Few other people on the internet seems to have ran in to this but have not found any solutions for this. So unsure what to do about this one.

Here is the screenshot of the error: http://imgur.com/a/n2Vpy

Thanks.

mike27oct

FYI, the 1MM is the last 3 characters of your new Echo's serial number.  Now that it is telling to enter the password for YOUR Echo, look in the setup instructions for the device setup and follow the directions.

If you still can't figure it out, call the Echo Customer Support number and let them help you.

pal4life

FYI, the 1MM is the last 3 characters of your new Echo's serial number.  Now that it is telling to enter the password for YOUR Echo, look in the setup instructions for the device setup and follow the directions.

If you still can't figure it out, call the Echo Customer Support number and let them help you.

Password for YOUR Echo - hmm Echo has a password? How do I find it, where is it?

mike27oct

Maybe it does not have a password, but it may need your network's password.  Like I said, you need to refer to the Echo basic instructions for setup.  It's been a while since I set my stuff up.

malliekm

I *think* I remember entering my router's pw during setup. 

mike27oct

I think someone is trying to set up the device without reading the instructions.

malliekm

Sounds that way  :o

pal4life

Perhaps some one has not run through this situation themselves so do not know this, that usually Echo should not ask for a password especially for the Amazon wifi. This is my 3rd Echo connection so have not run in to this one before.
The comments if constructive towards the issue at hand would be more helpful rather than speculation of if some one read the manual or not. There is no way to connect to Echo without reading the onscreen instructions any way.

malliekm

Sorry :(

mike27oct

@pal4life

I have setup a lot of Alexa devices, and I just referred to the Dot instructions that came in box.  It says:
"During setup you will connect Echo Dot to the internet, so you will need your Wi-Fi password."

Then on-screen instructions tell you to connect your mobile device to the Echo's wi-fi at Amazon-1MM showing in your device's wireless signals.  This is an open network and NOT requiring a password.  Once your phone is connected to this signal, you are directed to return to your Echo setup, connect this Amazon signal to your home wi-fi and put in PASSWORD FOR THE HOME WI-FI (NOT THE PASSWORD FOR THE ECHO which has none.)

If you still need assist refer to Help at top of Amazon's Home page.