Echo & Alexa Forums

unable to complete WiFi setup

rodgos

unable to complete WiFi setup
« on: June 15, 2017, 07:37:21 pm »
I've an echo dot, that up to today was working fine. However, today, it ceased to respond to the wake word. Powering the thing off and on again, the start sequence was not 'as in the book'. It would exhibit a blue ring, then the same with a narrow revolving white band, leading to a wider white revolving band. Then the ring would flash white and blue twice and the display would turn off. The anticipated orange ring did not appear, and the unit is unresponsive to voice. Pressing the 'action' button for 5 seconds, the orange ring appears, and the Alexa voice says that the unit is in setup mode and to setup using the app.. getting the app in setup mode (with the "press Action for 5 seconds" message) Pressing 'continue' the Dot and the app agree that connection has been made, but pressing the "continue " on the next screen, all that happens is that the blue background to the button turns lighter and than goes back to blue. pressing for longer  gives the same result.

mike27oct

Re: unable to complete WiFi setup
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 08:22:42 pm »
You likely should have turned it off for Amazon's recommended FIVE minutes and then plugged it back in.  So, now do this again for FIVE minutes to clear out the Dot.  It may start working again without your resetting the wi-fi, or if not, then do the setup as you had started to.

rodgos

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 08:54:42 pm »
It was turned off for an hour or more, but the results were pretty much the same, except that it did not go into setup mode. The ring flashed all blue, all white twice and turned off. The unit still responds to the wake word, but carries out no action.. Pressing the action button for 5 seconds wakes up the blue/white lights for a few seconds, then back to dark

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 09:38:30 pm »
Are you ussing the power supply AND cable that came with the Dot?  This is important.

rodgos

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 09:56:34 pm »
Yes. All fully authentic. I label all power supplies on arrival. There's no mistake.

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 10:52:59 pm »
Good, so I am at a loss, call Amazon Echo help.  That is what I do when stumped.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 04:30:59 am by mike27oct »

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 04:16:46 am »
how far are you from the router?  maybe try setting it up only a few feet from the router and see if it helps.  you can always move it later. 

mindmagic

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 04:58:09 am »
Have you tried rebooting your router?

rodgos

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 06:45:32 am »
I'm not getting as far as that. The app and the Dot do connect, as I said earlier. Confirmed on both. But I can't progress from there, since pressing the 'continue' button on the app has no effect.

malliekm

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 07:21:17 am »
Can you finish the setup using your computer.  The same Alexa app that is on your phone can be downloaded to your computer (computer version).

rodgos

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 10:12:53 am »
This was to be the next try, after swapping the power supply with another Dot. This time the app worked and the Dot connected up to the right WiFi unit. The odd thing, however, was that the Dot was live, and the colour ring responded to calls, but there was no sound (the original problem). But I did notice, on the tablet I used to setup the thing, that the calls to the Dot were being reported faithfully (in text).  The Dot is paired to a Jam Classsic speaker, and on a whim, I turned it on. Almost instantly, the Dot burst into sound (Chris Barber), to almost instantly turn off when the speaker took over. From then on, all was fine. Turning off the Jam Classic, the Dot took over. It would seem that the Dot thought it was still connected to the external speaker, although this was turned off. Turning the speaker on seems to have restored the correct order of things. Very odd and something to remember. Cheers everyone for your interest. I wish I could explain what went wrong. Which still leaves me with the problem of why the 'phone app didn't work, but I'll leave that for another day.

mike27oct

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 12:57:21 pm »
FYI, the app is not downloaded to a computer; instead one goes to a URL, alexa.amazon.com and can use the app's controls that way.

malliekm

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 02:07:57 pm »
FYI, the app is not downloaded to a computer; instead one goes to a URL, alexa.amazon.com and can use the app's controls that way.

You are absolutely right.  No wonder I don't remember installing an Alexa program (g)
Has Newegg found your wayward Google Home?

pal4life

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 03:03:47 pm »
Can you finish the setup using your computer.  The same Alexa app that is on your phone can be downloaded to your computer (computer version).

Hmm, do you have the link for the app to download on Windows?

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 04:05:35 pm »

Hmm, do you have the link for the app to download on Windows?
Scroll up to  mike27oct June 16, 2017, 12:57:21 pm  posting.....