7 (77.8%)
Yes
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Are you a Captcha fan?

mike27oct

Re: Are you a Captcha fan?
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 10:58:59 pm »
It's OK to give constructive suggestions!

strayfish

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2017, 04:15:47 am »
It's a tick-box, it's not very difficult.
[Famous last words as I haven't posted this yet!]

if you can see it  :-)

First thing I noticed. Not sure what that says about me though :)
Aaaand - here comes the pick-a-square test. Had to go get my glasses so suddenly NO not a fan!

strayfish

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2017, 04:17:38 am »
Now I can vote, and it's a NO from me.

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2017, 04:33:22 am »
again, my post gets immediately deleted but the spam posts were up for hours.    captcha is NOT working. 

hey admin - there are people that does the spamming - not robots over in southeast asia.    your new captcha will not work.  quit wasting your regular visitors time. 

vegasguy

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2017, 04:42:01 am »
I don't like captchas but they are a necessity in many cases.

But at least it's not like this -->

Offline jwlv

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2017, 05:13:27 am »
again, my post gets immediately deleted but the spam posts were up for hours.    captcha is NOT working. 

hey admin - there are people that does the spamming - not robots over in southeast asia.    your new captcha will not work.  quit wasting your regular visitors time.

Perhaps your computer has been compromised. I have not deleted any of your messages in recent weeks.

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2017, 06:21:54 am »
All I've had to do is click a square, not too big a deal.
lucky you most of us had to select picture squares
What's stopping Tuiceman from starting his own forum? Not that I don't welcome him and his ideas, but why try to implement rules on something that's not yours? Too much of that going on these days in my opinion.
I have my own forum already however it isn't dedicated solely to Alexa and is more for my software creations and X10.
I also am not trying to implement rules on something that isn't mine. I've merely offered help making suggestions for forum improvements,

In any Case it looks like the Captcha is gone  for L4 users (which I currently am)  :)

malliekm

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 12:22:14 pm »
kevb, I don't think that
tuicemen is trying to do anything other than help the current forum owner by making suggestions and offering his experience to the  forum owner.   It's just growing pains. Everything will work out 😊. Now, let's see how many times I have to play the find the picture game before I can post this 🙄

mike27oct

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2017, 01:09:10 pm »
Nice that Captcha "died" overnight.  Whew.

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 01:12:05 pm »
It has been my experience that Polls get very little input so I'm surprised by the response this has gotten.
Administrators usually try to make all users experience a good one.
Polls are a good way to get a consensus of users perspectives, so thanks to those that responded.  ;)
Many put forth suggestions on how to improve spam prevention.
I suggested some mods which due to restrictions the host puts on this forum are I'm told unusable.
However jwlv has implemented a spam mod which should help.

The Captcha may still be there for users with less then X number of posts ( I'm uncertain of this but hope it is the case).
Maybe jwlv can weigh in?
I've had experience with spammers creating several accounts (sleeper accounts) which they leave dormant for months before attacking with spam. Some Mods can catch these registrations and reject them. however they may not work due to the limitation mentioned.
I've also seen Seinfeld users (users that post about nothing) or respond to a thread with nonsense just to get post counts up (these should be reported) ;)

Offline kevb

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2017, 09:32:43 am »
Sorry I was snippy in the earlier post, it just seemed like three threads on basically the same thing was a bit of overkill. If it makes the forum better, I'm all for it.

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2017, 05:18:42 pm »
I believe the way the captcha was had everyone including me on edge.
Some had a simple check others were forced to choose multi squares that contained images that sometimes were hard to make out. In any case I believe it is now working only for new members with few or no posts yet.

mike27oct

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2017, 11:26:02 pm »
Good.  The best place for Captcha is at the front end, where scammers first appear, and not at the back end where vetted users are.