malliekm

Thank You Mr JWLV
« on: June 12, 2017, 04:18:32 pm »
Thanks for adding the "I'm Not a Robot" verification :D

Re: Thank You Mr JWLV
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 04:31:50 pm »
Sorry, I'm Not a fan of this tool! >:( :(
Captcha is a poor anti spam tool and it has proven not to work. :(
Why should members in good standing have to submit to this? ??? ::)
And why twice? ???
There are other forum mods that do a much better job.

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 04:55:02 pm »
I agree 100% with the above comment, and good that I saw it, because now I know why my post started getting the message: 

The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
You did not pass the verification.

I am quite computer savvy, and this had me baffled.  You may loose some members just because they can't figure out the captcha sign in is at the very bottom.

I also had to go through the test a few times until I got it correct.  What a pain.REMOVE CAPTCHA PLEASE -- IT IS WORSE THAN SPAM!

And to the TWO who complained about the spam, you shudda kept your complaints to yourself!

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 05:11:46 pm »
On the forums I moderate many use the captcha for registering new users only, which this forum has for a while now, maybe since it started.
Why expand it existing posting members in good standing if it never stopped spam in the first place?
I get complaints regularly with users unable to get it to work with their browsers for one reason or another.

@JWLV I sent you a PM with Mods that have proven to work for spam please consider installing them and removing the captcha.
These mods will not interfere with members in good standing and auto boot mining bots and spammers alike.
If you need help installing or setting them up I'd be happy to help. ;)

malliekm

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 05:13:12 pm »
It's a step in the right direction.  We'll see how well (or not) it works.  I don't know what the problem is.  All you have to do is click the check box.  You're not typing in a alphanumeric code that you can barely read. 

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 05:33:46 pm »
I am not a fan of captchas either.  but at least this one I can read :-) 

the smf software for this forum can do a lot of things including having membergroups  and moderators (without full access).  captchas have this issue where if someone is using some blocking software or addon, vpns and proxies, it may not always show up.  so far everything being done to prevent spam is at the inconvenient of the visitors/members.  Maybe do more behind the scenes to prevent spam.