Echo & Alexa Forums

is it possible to change a command into something shorter?

TakeyaSaito

So i have been looking around with no luck for this, what i am trying to do is change something like "Alexa, ask TrackR to ring my phone" to just "Alexa, ring my phone" per example, having to ask alexa to ask something else to do something else feels very inorganic, is there anyway at all to do something like that?

Offline jwlv

Re: is it possible to change a command into something shorter?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 08:44:48 am »
Depending on the skill and how the developer looks for keywords in its request, you might be able to say, "Alexa, Trackr ring my phone."

I don't use Trackr so I don't know if it will work for this particular skill.

TakeyaSaito

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 10:13:23 am »
i was kind of hoping there was someway to "translate" a command into another, like asking alexa something but having her run a longer command in response per example say "Alexa, where is my phone" but having alexa run "Alexa, ask TrackR to ring my phone"

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 01:59:25 pm »
OP: you should do what others have done, and just try a command different ways and see what works.  That's how I found that saying "Alexa, time." got the same results as "Alexa, what time is it?"

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 08:45:05 pm »
I use YONOMI app on my cell phone to set up commends that are far less troublesome. I don't know if it will work with your particular skill/app... but I shorten commands on my Lighting down to simple 3 word commands such as "Corner Light ON"... don't have to say Turn on or identify which specific light beyond it's name or a room... Can say "Bedroom Lights ON" and the lights come on... likewise for off, or can use commands like "Turn on Fire TV" and turn on all items that are required for that TV function... and... much more....

YONOMI is free app and they have really nice support people who are hard to contact but are very helpful when you do reach them. They may have some suggestions to help with your particular application as well.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!