Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo anti theft

outatime

Echo anti theft
« on: May 21, 2017, 04:14:15 pm »
Hello

Wonder if anyone can please help or has any ideas, looking for a way to secure my amazon Echo.  I would like to use it in a vacation home but worried someone will take it on the way out, I have a security deposit but would really like some way to secure it.  I have seen wall mounts on amazon but nothing that holds it in place for being removed.  Any ideas?

Thank you

Stuart

Re: Echo anti theft
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 05:37:15 am »
Take it with you if you're leaving for extended periods. Or hide it somewhere when you aren't using it (and mute it or unplug it).
-Paul.

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 08:36:58 am »
Hello

I would like to use it in a vacation home but worried someone will take it on the way out, I have a security deposit but would really like some way to secure it.  I have seen wall mounts on amazon but nothing that holds it in place for being removed.  Any ideas?

Thank you

Stuart
I do not know the answer to your question but since you asked for ideas....
I would be very careful on who I invite to my vacation home.  Especially if I have to check to make sure my Echo is still in the spot I left it PRIOR to the visitors walking out the door.

Also, what does a security deposit have to do w/securing an Echo?

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 08:39:07 am »
A security deposit would not cover theft. It only covers property damage.
-Paul.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 09:02:29 am »
I heard that Wynn hotel in Las Vegas has an Amazon Echo in every room. I don't know if they have anti-theft devices on them. Or maybe they are not secured at all and they'll just bill the guests $200 if it turns up missing.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 09:04:26 am »
I heard that Wynn hotel in Las Vegas has an Amazon Echo in every room. I don't know if they have anti-theft devices on them. Or maybe they are not secured at all and they'll just bill the guests $200 if it turns up missing.

Right- they have your credit card on file and will bill you if the Echo (or anything else) goes "missing".
-Paul.

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 04:31:42 pm »
This is NOT a difficult problem.  1) Do not bring an Echo on vacation.  2) Get a Dot or a Tap.

This is what I do:  For air trips, I bring a $49 Dot and maybe a BT speaker.  For car trips ,I bring a Tap which still costs less than an Echo and is also smaller.  I do not stay in poorly secured locations that are easy to break into.  Beyond that, i don't sweat it!

I think the most important thing you've learned in this thread is what a security deposit is for; it sure as heck is not personal property insurance for YOU!  LOL

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 07:42:18 pm »
I think I understand the OP's Question, as they OWN the vacation home and want to put an echo in it for "customers" to use while staying at the Home renting it... An Amenity.

I think the best thing would be to increase the security deposit, to cover the Echo. However, I could see building a very difficult to steal from cage for a Dot... maybe for the full sized echo. The cage idea would have to be very customized, and would likely have to be mounted to a piece of furniture with some fairly substantial hardware to deter theft. Maybe installing on a ceiling would help as well... Just some ideas...

Amazon may already have a secure version or a specific accessory to help secure one, but they aren't terribly forthcoming with any designs
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

mike27oct

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 08:14:00 pm »
Scott may have hit on the true purpose of the question.  Personally, I would not put anything like an Echo or Dot in the vacation home.  Put a decent radio and TV in it, and be done with it for supplied entertainment gadgets.  People can bring their own Echo devices, tablets, etc, as we do.

What most vacation homes, B&Bs, and even hotels need is DECENT INTERNET SERVICE.  I have never stayed anywhere where I found truly quality internet; meaning at least 50Mbps, dual-band speeds. I often cannot get a decent, consistent, and clean stream of video on a tablet as I can at home.  We can stream from our Netflix and Comcast accounts lots of programs on tablets (even from our home server) , but poor internet that's barely usable for email, doesn't get the job done.  Also, is why we have wireless hard and flash drives with media files on them; so in case the locale's internet signal really sucks we can create our own signal from which we can stream media.