Echo & Alexa Forums

Introducing My New Google Home and Question

malliekm

Introducing My New Google Home and Question
« on: May 19, 2017, 11:57:45 pm »
I've been wanting to be a part of this forum for a long time.  It's pretty slow but Google is announcing big changes every day (keeping up with Amazon's daily announcements) so maybe it will pick up around here :)  Three Echo Dots and one GH and three TP-Link smart outlet minis.

Question:  Can both AIs operate the same smart outlets?  The only reason I can think of that I'd ever need to use GH to operate my smart outlets is if TP-Link's servers went down (again).  So for instance, can my bedroom lamp turn on and off with Alexa OR Google Home?  GH doesn't show TP to be compatible but I know it is.

Re: Introducing My New Google Home and Question
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 01:53:29 am »
I cannot think of a reason why you cannot use both if the device is compatible with both.  does the echo work when the tp-link servers are down?  If not, then gh most likely will not either.  but there is one way to find out  :-)

malliekm

Re: Introducing My New Google Home and Question
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 02:02:11 am »
I cannot think of a reason why you cannot use both if the device is compatible with both.  does the echo work when the tp-link servers are down?  If not, then gh most likely will not either.  but there is one way to find out  :-)

Echo worked but the TP devices did not.
I apparently wasn't thinking  ???  If the TP-Link server is down, neither AI is going to work the smart plugs. 
Time to go to bed!  ::)