Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Remote holder lost magnetism

Axel Reade

Remote holder lost magnetism
« on: May 18, 2017, 08:57:16 am »
I guess this is a trivial issue but the voice remote no longer sticks to its holder.  It used to work very well.

I tried to remagnitize it with a strong permanent magnet but it didn't help.

Am I alone on this? Is there a fix?

Thanks

mike27oct

Re: Remote holder lost magnetism
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 02:24:20 pm »
Yes, the "fix" is to contact Echo customer service for a replacement.

Axel Reade

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 04:21:38 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately it's two years old. I would think it's out of warranty.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 04:52:37 pm »

you can get magnetic strips at walmart  or most hobby stores

k9kids

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 05:26:14 pm »
Velcro would work. Doesn't take a big amount.

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 08:07:47 pm »
OK, more complicated than I thought, so . . .

I have the original remote that came with the Echo, and the back piece holder is magnetized and clamps really hard to a metal fridge.  The remote itself is not magnetized, but is held by the holder's magnet.  In case the back piece was not stuck to metal, there was a piece of (sticky tape?) included so it could be mounted on non metal and the holder magnet still held the remote. So, the only magnet is in the holder.  If it was unmounted on non metal or not on metal for the whole time, magnets can lose their magnetism.  So, unless you want to ask Amazon to replace the back piece, then use Velcro. because I do not believe the magnetic tape is a strong enough magnet to pass through the holder to then hold the remote.  In fact, I would not use the holder, just put Velcro on the back of remote (fuzzy side) and the barbed side on what will be holding it.

Personally, I think it is worth a shot to ask Amazon to replace the faulty magnetic piece.

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 08:44:48 pm »
Get on Amazon and buy some Strong Neodymium Magnet slugs and glue one on it and be done with it...https://www.amazon.com/Applied-Magnets-16-Inch-Neodymium-10-Pieces/dp/B01M62G2LJ/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1495154579&sr=8-24&keywords=strong+magnets
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

Axel Reade

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 09:51:46 pm »
Just a minor clarification.  I'm referring to the connection between the remote and the holder.

I connect the holder to my desk using velcro. That is not a problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 10:44:23 pm »
The magnetism between the remote and the holder is from the magnetic holder and the metal in the batteries.  Did you change to a different brand of batteries recently?

Axel Reade

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 06:28:39 am »
The magnetism between the remote and the holder is from the magnetic holder and the metal in the batteries.  Did you change to a different brand of batteries recently?

OMG! I DID just change batteries.

I never made the connection. I replaced the originals with NiMh.   Guess I'll have to go back to alkaline.  All is back to normal.

Thanks for the solution!

Update: It turns out some rechargeables are attracted to a magnet, some not. I've now installed the later type.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 06:49:28 am by Axel Reade »

mike27oct

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 02:32:33 pm »
Excellent diagnosis jwlv.  It made a lot of sense, and I had my fingers crossed that this was the solution.

And, to OP, not real advisable to use rechargeable batteries in remotes, since these kind of batteries hardly hold a charge for very long.  Best to use name brand alkaline batteries in all remotes.  They are cheap, and they last so long you will forget when you last changed them!