Echo & Alexa Forums

4/11 Amazon Deal of Day on Sandisk

mike27oct

4/11 Amazon Deal of Day on Sandisk
« on: April 11, 2017, 06:17:14 pm »
Until around midnight, Amazon has a good Deal of the Day sale on selected Sandisk products, so if you want to stock up on flash memory, etc, check out the sale.  I decided to get a SanDisk Connect Wireless Stick 200GB for half-price! ($68)  I already have a 64G I got over a year ago, and this 200GB wireless drive can store my entire digital music collection and a whole lot of mp4 movie files i can stream and watch on iOS mobile devices, Fire TVs and Chromecast devices.  Cool.

malliekm

Re: 4/11 Amazon Deal of Day on Sandisk
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 10:35:55 pm »
I had a Sandisk Connect Wireless Stick for 3 years.  I've really not done anything with it.  It's a 32GB stick.  I've never really quite figured out the need for it <g>  The whole wireless thing was new to me back then.

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 11:05:01 pm »
Well, just because you "don't get it" doesn't mean it is useless!  Why buy something you don't understand? But, that's another story. I listen to my music and watch videos on airplanes with it on iPad tablet.  I listen to my music on iPhone while on bus to ball games. For this reason, I do not waste money on phones or tablets with lots of over-priced flash storage.  I just stream to them. I keep it in my pocket when I need to use it.  I can also send its output to FireTV and Chromecast.  I can use it when I travel to beam stuff to room TV. I also have wireless hard drives, but they are bigger than one of these flash drives.  They also can be connected to home network so the signal is all over the house and works better, too.  I am not sure if the app comes in Android version; I think it is just in Apple version.  I like my original, and is why I bought a bigger capacity today.

If you have had one for three years, it is an older version, because new models were released over a year and a half ago.  The ones I have are the 2nd generation.

The sale is on more than one item; do you need a new SD card for a camera?

malliekm

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 12:21:27 am »
I didn't say it was useless or that I even thought it was useless :)  And I bought it because the the man on the video said I needed it and showed all these awesome reasons why I needed it.  I need to find the pdf and read it again now that I'm a bit more up on all things wifi (or some things wifi!)  I do remember having a Sandisk app on an older phone.  I'll go to the Play Store and look for it again.  Here's the one I have.  Bought from Newegg in Feb 2014

« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:29:49 am by malliekm »

malliekm

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 12:36:36 am »
Wait!  Now I remember why I bought it.  I have a couple of usb ports in my car.  I keep a usb stick of music in one of them.  To add new songs I have to remove the flash drive, bring it in the house to add music to it (first world problem, I know).  I was going to use the wifi usb drive in the car so I could just send new songs to it.   IIRC the reason that wouldn't work is because it has to have a charge.  I couldn't leave it in my car full time like I do the current usb stick.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 01:19:50 am »
Oh my! They have a 1TB SSD for $249.99! I'm so tempted to get it, but I upgraded my SSD to 480GB just a few months ago.

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 01:57:44 am »
@jwlv
The low price on the SSD may be because their parent company WD announced this week they are releasing their first portable SSD and largest one is 1TB:
https://www.wdc.com/products/portable-storage/my-passport-ssd.html

I just hope Sandisk does not release new models soon that use 5G wireless; my biggest gripe with the current Connect drive is it is 2.4G

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 02:03:38 am »
@Monica, agree, you did not say it seemed useless, but your comment somewhat implied it did not have a lot of utility from your perspective.  Anyway, the photo indicated you have the previous generation, and since you need to install the app, you need the OLD version of the app.  The newest one will not work on your model, and both versions are at the app stores, so careful what you install.