Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa Show in the UK

Pagemakers

Alexa Show in the UK
« on: May 09, 2017, 01:01:50 pm »
Anybody know when the Show will be released in the UK?

AlanH

Re: Alexa Show in the UK
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 01:14:46 pm »
It's being released in the US on June 28th, but no news on a UK date as yet.

Pagemakers

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 09:07:13 pm »
Just got mine in the US. I return home on Monday. Currently connected to the hotel wifi. It's working but the app shows the device as offline when it's not. I hope this is something to do with the hotel wifi and not a USA/UK compatibility problem.

I've got a few echos and dots. First impressions of the show are soso but that may be due to a hotel wifi connection. I'll update in full when I'm home.

andygodber

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 02:54:14 am »
Looking forward to the update - on UK Amazon platform, not US?

Pagemakers

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 02:32:34 am »
Well it looks like I may be returning the show.

For some reason it always shows offline in the Alexa app. I've reset the device 3 times and checked my USA Amazon account. It's not there. It does appear in my UK account but I can't get it to show as online even though it is connected to the ineternet and works to a degree.

I'm waiting for Amazon to get back to me. If I can't resolve it I'll ship it back this weekend.

Scottivo

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 04:31:40 pm »
I'm having the same problem. I look forward to hearing what answer you get.

tonyanorway

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 04:41:33 pm »
Hi all,
I've been using my Echo Show for about a week now and although there is a bug regarding the online status in the app, I can assure you that most of the functions work just fine.
I have set mine to be in Liverpool UK (I'm in Norway) so at least he time is correct when I ask.
Simply select the correct time zone/kilometres/centigrade, etc.
Controlling Spotify (with album art) & YouTube is instant.
TuneIn app is all good and the calendar function all syncs fine (Play BBC Radio One, et al).
The "play the ELP radio channel", for example, works as expected.
Shopping list syncs with the original Echo, various Dots and the new Dash Wand so nothing to worry about there.
Power supply is universal so all you need is a simple adapter.
All my NetGear smart switches work, so telling Alexa to "Turn on the humidifier" works like a charm.
Flash Briefing with Sky/BBC etc all good.

The unit runs quite cool even when on full brightness.
If you're using the Show (or any Alexa device) I can heartily recommend the "Top Gear" "Grand Tour" ringtone, it's a hoot!

I use headphones a lot, so I linked the countdown timer to my Philips Hue lighting via the Samsung SmartThings using IFTTT so when the timer reaches zero the room lights flash - quite geeky but impressively cool  8)

So what's missing?

The calling function has not been enabled as of yet.
And the killer skill for me, namely the NetGear Arlo security camera function is not online right now (unlike the US).
I like the idea of saying "Alexa, show me the front door camera" and seeing the live video feed appear on the screen.

As usual there was an update when first connected and that went smooth.
Even if your not actively using the device, it displays the time, photos, interesting facts & tips, etc.

The screen is far better than it should be at the price and the touch/swipe feels just right.
Is it worth getting?

Oh yes.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 12:41:37 am by tonyanorway »

Arbujl

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 05:12:43 am »
@tonyanorway
I'm new here and I have an Echo Show. I have tried different way to setup my Echo Show but this one is always Offline.
How you can have calendar in your device if he is Offline? I did all setup on Alexa App (iCloud + GMail) but when I talk to Alexa she told me that I have not Calendar...
I'm based in France with an address in UK for the configuration.

tonyanorway

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 04:37:54 am »
Hi Arbujl,

Yes there is currently a bug that makes the Echo show appear offline but rest assured it is most definitely online.

The calendar function works just fine for me, so I suggest you double check your settings again and make sure you have downloaded the very latest Alexa app to your phone.

Obviously it's not readily available in the official PlayStore so you will have to download the .apk file to your phone.

As usual, google is your friend  ;)

jbredcar

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 04:10:29 pm »
Hi All

I bought 2 x Echo Show and brought them back to the UK.

They don't seem to be working properly though. They are reading my calendar, but news briefing is for the US.

In the Alexa app and on the Amazon site, they show as offline so I cannot change any settings.

When I try to control my Hue lights, I am told that I don't have any smart home devices set up.

Any ideas please?

Many thanks

John

gibboireland

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 02:32:57 pm »
Hi all, Echo Show just arrived today, and same problem as everyone else. Its quite annoying, as it with it showing offline, you can't see your history on the Alexa app or add photos etc. Interestingly, for a brief few seconds it did work, and show online, after I updated both the Alexa app and the Echo show to the latest versions. From the research Ive done and be able to figure out, this is definitely a backend/account issue on Amazon's side, due to the fact that you have linked a Amazon.co.uk enabled account to the Echo Show. Reason I say that is because when you check your devices on Amazon.com the Echo Show is correctly identified, but when you check your devices on Amazon.co.uk, it says the device is "Knight"? See screenshot!

So whats the fix? Well, ideally Amazon fix the bug, make the device correctly identified outside the US which will fix the offline bug OR there is the ability for you to move your devices/settings/purchases between your UK and US account. I for one, am not brave enough to try it, and not sure its worth any trouble for a few inconveniences.

Anyone else anything new to add or potential solutions or workarounds?

gibboireland

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 03:01:43 am »
Just a small update - contacted Amazon support for what it was worth.

They confirmed because the Echo Show isnt released in the UK, that it is correct to say offline and "cannot work". They did say that it will be released in the UK and when it is, then it will work fully.

But they dont have a timeframe for that.

Looks like only option is to sit tight. Sigh.

Beetle-Snake

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 06:54:47 am »
with the recent announcement of the new Fire HD10 the Show could well become redundant - the new tablet launches in October and in addition to a 1080p screen will also come with hands free activation of Alexa even when the device is in sleep mode. You will now have a device you can prop up, mount or carry around the house and do all the things Show can do and more. The only downside I can see are the speakers which may not be as good as the Show but if not you can always attach the tablet to external speakers via BT or wire. Personally I was keen to get the Show in the UK but the tablet seems a much better and cheaper option now.

Bandageboyz

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 07:21:48 am »
The show is now available to pre-order on the Amazon Store for £199.99 - will be released on Nov 16th

Beetle-Snake

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 10:04:54 am »
good news from the perspective of UK not missing out but as I said in another post I am just not sure whether its worth getting either this product or this version - I am just not seeing it worth the £200 and I am still leaning towards the HD10 option