Echo & Alexa Forums

error code 7:3:4:0:1

cake_knife

error code 7:3:4:0:1
« on: April 20, 2017, 01:39:48 pm »
Hello, I'm getting the following error code 7:3:4:0:1 While I'm trying to connect to a public Wi-Fi.  It is a public Wi-Fi in the hospital.  I have connected no problem to my iPhone or iPad.  I tried entering in the parameters manually, but it still produces the same error code.  Any thoughts.  Interestingly, there is another Wi-Fi that is password protected that does not even show up on the Alexa Wi-Fi list.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Offline jwlv

Re: error code 7:3:4:0:1
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 08:09:31 pm »
Hello, I'm getting the following error code 7:3:4:0:1 While I'm trying to connect to a public Wi-Fi.  It is a public Wi-Fi in the hospital.  I have connected no problem to my iPhone or iPad.  I tried entering in the parameters manually, but it still produces the same error code.  Any thoughts.  Interestingly, there is another Wi-Fi that is password protected that does not even show up on the Alexa Wi-Fi list.

Thank you in advance for any help.

When using a public Wifi, there are a million things that can prevent your Echo from working correctly.
I'll mention just a few of the more common things.
1. Proxy servers - They relay information from your device to the internet. Echo doesn't play well with proxy servers.
2. Limited ports - Most computers, smartphones, etc. only use the standard ports such as 80 for web browsing, 443 for secure connections, 110/995 for POP3 (email), and a small handful of other common ports. Echo does not use any of these common ports and they are probably blocked by a public Wifi. If I was the admin of a public Wifi, you bet I would block all non-standard ports.
3. Many public Wifi requires you to "login" first. Even if there's no actual login, there probably is some kind of agreement that you must click before you get full access to the Wifi. Echo can't click anything and can't agree to anything. It just expects the internet to be there and available, else you get some kind of error.
4. Other Wifi connections might show up on your smartphone/computer but not Echo because Echo expects a certain protocol. For example, the outdated WEP protocol is still used in some places and Echo will not let you use it due to the security risks.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 08:11:41 pm by jwlv »

cake_knife

Re: error code 7:3:4:0:1
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 06:48:23 am »
Thank you Jwlv,
That information was helpful and I suspect you gave me the reason why I cannot connect.  I will try a cal with Alexa support, but suspect the device is not meant for use outside of the home.
Best, cake knife