Echo & Alexa Forums

Samsung smart tv

Martinbliss

Samsung smart tv
« on: April 17, 2017, 09:37:38 am »
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to Echo, I've not got them on 3 floors and have successfully connected them to speakers, lights and thermostats. I am now struggling as when I look for new devices, it doesn't pick up my new smart tv. It's a Samsung 55ku6670 if that helps. From looking online, it looks like I might need a 'smartthings' set up, does this sound about right?

Thanks in advance

Martin

mike27oct

Re: Samsung smart tv
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 12:05:59 pm »
Alexa devices can not play anything to or from devices on home network.  The only way is if the TV has bluetooth.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 08:45:29 pm »
I don't know about the Smart Things Hub... but I know the Harmony Hub will allow you to interface with the TV and any other Audio Video Devices... it will control up to 8 items at once. It's pretty cool how well it does. You have to learn a couple of things as you go, but following the Hub Installation instructions is mostly simple. It's learning the commands that  will make you nuts. You can also add the free YONOMI app to help with more complex commands as well.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 11:19:38 pm »
Connecting Echo to speakers, lights and thermostates are not the same as connecting to a DNLA device (i.e. Smart TV) on the network.  I really doubt this can be done with any device not designed to work with Echo.

Offline kevb

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 08:10:24 am »
The Harmony Hub will allow you to control your tv with Alexa. I have a very similar Samsung Smart tv with the Harmony hub and Alexa and it works well.

coyote

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 11:27:15 am »
Connecting Echo to speakers, lights and thermostates are not the same as connecting to a DNLA device (i.e. Smart TV) on the network.  I really doubt this can be done with any device not designed to work with Echo.
It is doable. As some have mentioned, the Harmony hub will do it (and in fact, can allow Alexa to control almost any RF or IR device).... and there are other ways. Basically, any unit that can accept network commands can be controlled via Alexa. You just have to a) have access to the control protocol, and b) have some sort of 'server' on your network that can send the command. A raspberry pi, an android phone or tablet, or other devices can do the job. You might need to use IFTTT also.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 11:28:57 am by coyote »

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 01:08:31 pm »
I am not referring to turning on/off a Smart TV via an echo device.  I am referring to playing music on (e.g.) a Dot and having it play (through the network) on a Smart TV, or playing stored music on a network NAS on to a Dot.

coyote

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 01:50:11 pm »
I am not referring to turning on/off a Smart TV via an echo device.  I am referring to playing music on (e.g.) a Dot and having it play (through the network) on a Smart TV, or playing stored music on a network NAS on to a Dot.
My comment was about the reference to the original post, which was seeking far more than what you are referencing here.