Echo & Alexa Forums

How to connect Echo Dot to computer on same network to play music

rick5472

Is there a way to connect my Echo Dot to music files on my PC if it is connected to the same network? I want to be able to stream music files using Alexa. Thanks for any info.

Jerrym74

Re: How to connect Echo Dot to computer on same network to play music
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 10:58:32 am »
If your pc doesn't have bluetooth, you'll have to buy an inexpensive bluetooth dongle for it then you can stream to Echo thru that.

rick5472

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 11:30:44 am »
If your pc doesn't have bluetooth, you'll have to buy an inexpensive bluetooth dongle for it then you can stream to Echo thru that.

Can I get it to stream through the network rather than bluetooth? The PC is a ways away from the Echo and I don't think bluetooth goes that far.

Jerrym74

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 12:59:41 pm »
No way thru the wireless network that I'm aware of. Bluetooth works at least 25 to 30(maybe more) away. Guess it depends on how far away you'll be. Buy the dongle someplace like Walmart so you can take it back if it doesn't perform up to your expectations.

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 01:11:42 pm »
I agree with all Jerry says, BT is the only way.  Unless the PC is ancient, it likely has BT.

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 01:41:43 pm »

Can I get it to stream through the network rather than bluetooth? The PC is a ways away from the Echo and I don't think bluetooth goes that far.
Why don't you see if it does?  Post back to let us know if it worked.

rick5472

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 02:01:57 pm »
Ok I will try the BT but how do I set it up in the app? Nothing jumps out at me in the settings. The only music settings are Spotify, Pandora, Prime, etc. Nothing to connect to BT on my PC.
I already have the Echo Dot paired with a BT speaker. Can I have more than one device paired?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 02:07:10 pm by rick5472 »

Jerrym74

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 02:36:45 pm »
You've kinda went above my pay grade now. I've actually only done blue tooth on my Iphone. I just turn on blue tooth and make it discoverable, then you tell Alexa to connect to it. I suppose you would have to tell her to "disconnect bluetooth from speakers" then tell her to "connect bluetooth to pc". Not real sure of the wording but you get the general idea.

Edit: Guess I should throw this in. There's nothing to do in the app. Just tell Alexa what to do.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 02:38:29 pm by Jerrym74 »

mike27oct

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 03:26:19 pm »
OP needs to read the instructions of his PC to learn how to use the BT, like anyone else does to figure it out -- same as I did.  OP, you have been given the right method, now it is up to you to do your homework and figure it out, or find a local friend to help you.

rick5472

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 07:32:52 pm »
The PC's blue tooth cannot find the Echo at it's location.  Figured out!

Jerrym74

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 08:13:18 pm »
Hey Rick, take a look at this link. It's for pairing a mobile device, but should work the same on your pc. https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201549660