Echo & Alexa Forums

TP-Link Smart Outlet and a 3-Way Bulb

malliekm

TP-Link Smart Outlet and a 3-Way Bulb
« on: April 06, 2017, 10:48:25 pm »
I set up a tp-link smart plug and plugged in a lamp with a 3 way bulb...50-100-150w (incandescent).  I turned it on the 150w position.  Set it up to come on M-F at 5:40am.  I tested it numerous times as I had problems at first.  Had to install the latest app software before it would use the schedule setting.  Every evening I'd ask my husband if it came on.  Every evening he said "no" :(  He finally asked me if I considered it might be burned out.  I hadn't.  It was a new bulb.  He said when you turn on a 3-way bulb it comes on gradually...50, then 100 and then 150w.  If I had it set to 150 and it was coming on at 150 (vs ramping up) that could have blown out the bulb.  Sure enough, it was burned out.  It might mention this in the user manual but "I don't need no stinkin' manual" (or maybe I DO! lol)  Anyway, just a FYI :)

mike27oct

Re: TP-Link Smart Outlet and a 3-Way Bulb
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 10:58:43 pm »
I may have metioned to you that I have 3-way bulbs in three, 3-way lamps.  All work fine with the mini TP plugs.  Maybe because all bulbs were new LED 3-way bulbs which are your favorite kind.  ;)

malliekm

Re: TP-Link Smart Outlet and a 3-Way Bulb
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 03:03:11 am »
You may have Mike.  Do you happen to know a good black market source for incandescent bulbs?   ;) ;D