Echo & Alexa Forums

On, connected Echo not responding to voice and not making sound

Rerve

Hey Folks,

As per the subject, just yesterday my Echo stopped responding to voice commands.

App says its connected, mute and action buttons make the lights come on but no sound in or out.

I've tried factory reset about 5 times now and still nothing. Weirdly other devices seem to be able to connect to it fine (like Spotify on iphone can see it and 'stream' to it but no sound comes out, even changing the volume makes the white light appear so I know its connected).

Strangely in the early hours of this morning the Echo said something like 'setup complete' out loud. I thought it might have fixed itself but it hadn't.

Anyone had this issue? Is it dead?
Sadly I bought it online and am in Australia so no warranty for me.

strayfish

Re: On, connected Echo not responding to voice and not making sound
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 07:43:28 am »
Usual advice is to unplug it and put it on the naughty step for at least five minutes. That seems to clear its cache and get it back on the rails - bit like burping the baby :) Did you try that yet?

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 01:07:28 pm »
Exactly, and just maybe a complete reset was not done correctly.  A reset should not have been necessary, just the restart above is required.

hoonerizm

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 12:59:43 am »
I am having the same issue. Did a restart by unplugging and power cycling. Sound was restored. However, sound went out again. I keep on having to power cycle. Tried resetting and nothing as well.
Talked with customer support and they are issuing a shipping label to return to try and fix or issue a new unit. Only had the unit about 1 month.