Echo & Alexa Forums

AlexaDot and Lighting control :0)

Kgveteran

AlexaDot and Lighting control :0)
« on: March 16, 2017, 03:17:50 pm »
 Hello Members ! Just putting the finishing touches on my listening room and was wondering what devices mite be best for a lighting scheme for my room. I will need the Dot (or Alexa) to control two types of lighting, Mood lights or low level lighting and Task lighting for cleaning up or Seeing.

If you have had good luck with either of these ideas please chime in ! Also please list devices in lighting that work for you....

I've done a little reading and by the looks of it there are devices that require a Gateway to connect, i dont like that idea, i would like to keep it simple using just Wifi bulbs

Thanx David Rochester NY
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 03:40:48 pm by Kgveteran »

mike27oct

Re: AlexaDot and Lighting control :0)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 05:21:27 pm »
I have TP-Link devices, and they need no hub.  Others will chime in with their details.

jim1590

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 12:25:47 pm »
I like the Phillips Hue system. If you are not looking to integrate the ihome, you can pick up a first generation Philips hub on ebay for 10 bucks or so. All of the current generation hue bulbs and light strips will work with it. Think it maxes out at 50 devices.

Should work for exactly what you want. Nice thing I like about the hub vs non-hub lights is that the bulbs seem to be about $10 cheaper for the hub version and I am not having my router assigning an IP address to each bulb in the house.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 02:23:15 pm »
For now, I prefer the non-hub switches controlling 3-way lamps, don't want dimmable or colored bulbs, and so far, my ISP does not yet charge for each IP address I use.  Most routers have up to 200 available, and my router has assigned around 40.

Kgveteran

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 09:55:04 am »
I like the Phillips Hue system. If you are not looking to integrate the ihome, you can pick up a first generation Philips hub on ebay for 10 bucks or so. All of the current generation hue bulbs and light strips will work with it. Think it maxes out at 50 devices.

Should work for exactly what you want. Nice thing I like about the hub vs non-hub lights is that the bulbs seem to be about $10 cheaper for the hub version and I am not having my router assigning an IP address to each bulb in the house.

So, as long as everything in my room is on the same wifi network and i have a hub ( $25 on ebay nice ! ) i can make two lighting schemes.

joshsimpson79

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 11:33:10 am »
I use the Lifx bulbs.  No hub as well, but several people have had issues with them losing connection from time to time.  Knock on wood, I've had great luck and I'm buying four more soon.  They do cost more, but are the brightest ones that I have found.  Thankfully, the company often does firmware and app updates, so they are continuing to improve the product. 

jim1590

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 01:27:56 pm »
So, as long as everything in my room is on the same wifi network and i have a hub ( $25 on ebay nice ! ) i can make two lighting schemes.

With a hub you do not need to worry about the wifi network. The hub is wired into your router and uses its own wireless signal to control the bulbs.

Kgveteran

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 02:02:45 pm »

So, is anyone using the dot with a hub (any hub or none) for lighting ? How easy is it to setup once i get all theses devices.

coyote

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 02:36:58 pm »
I'm using Alexa with Cree bulbs (via smartthings), and with Hue.

BE aware there is a learning curve however you go. You will have to name the bulbs, name your scenes, etc and then remember those names. Additionally, Alexa might take many tries to connect with Hue.

Don't be put off by that though. It is sooo worthwhile once you get it going.

Kgveteran

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 10:32:48 am »

BE aware there is a learning curve however you go. You will have to name the bulbs, name your scenes, etc and then remember those names. Additionally, Alexa might take many tries to connect with Hue.

Thanx Coyote ! Sounds encouraging, and im so aware of my learning curve with everything Lol.

Is programing done via an App, can i use a laptop ? None of my devices are up to date.......i still have an iphone4S  ::)

joshsimpson79

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 12:05:06 pm »

Thanx Coyote ! Sounds encouraging, and im so aware of my learning curve with everything Lol.

Is programing done via an App, can i use a laptop ? None of my devices are up to date.......i still have an iphone4S  ::)

No matter whatsystem you go with, you will likely have to use some sort of app for setup.  You'll probably have to name them both in the app, and the echo app (from my experience).

ganeyvim

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 01:25:50 pm »
Have been using 2 systems with hardly any problems.

I use 4 tp-link plugs work well and natively with Alexa. You can connect and control any low-medium powered device.
They also have hubless light bulbs which are controlled the same way, but I have not tried those.

I have a Broadlink RM2 pro remote box (rf + ir) + cheap Etekcity plugs + rm plugin for android.
that is a cheap and interesting way to go, since it can control ac outlets, TV remote, Air Conditioner, etc. It works well, is cheap, but requires an Android Tablet or Phone as a "Bridge" for Alexa.

jim1590

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 01:49:17 pm »
The Hue was fairly easy to set up. I just did one bulb at a time in a lamp near the hub so I was able to test it. Follow the prompts and you will be all set.

If Alexa screws up with whatever you call the light, go into the Alexa app to see what she thought she heard. For an example, we have 1 lamp labeled "Window" as it is next to the window in the room. She kept hearing "When do" so I added "When do" as another name for that lamp.

I just wish we got to the point where she equates what room you are in vs what light is in the room. A simple "Light Off" will turn off that light in front of you.