Echo & Alexa Forums

Broadlink RM Pro - android device: Fire Stick?

Bobbetto

Broadlink RM Pro - android device: Fire Stick?
« on: March 04, 2017, 02:15:26 pm »
Hi folks

I want to install some wireless light switches and I've found some that work with Broadlink RM Pro.  I did some research and discovered that in order for this to integrate with Alexa, I need an always on android device to run the bridge app.  My question is this:  As I have a Firestick permanently connected to my TV and powered-up, can I uses THAT as the android device to run the bridge app?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

mike27oct

Re: Broadlink RM Pro - android device: Fire Stick?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 05:41:54 pm »
OK, so what is a Broadlink RM Pro?  Is it your router model? Don't assume we all know what every gadget is!

To setup and use smart home devices such as wireless lighting plugs, switches, and bulbs, you need to have a smart phone or tablet that is either iOS or Android type, or use a computer browser if you do not have these other devices.  You need to install the appropriate app (e.g. the app for the light devices, and Alexa app on the devices, or you will be confined to using the computer browser only.

Regarding the Firestick: it cannot be used to setup a smart home app, and the only thing it can do (after app has been setup properly) is turn lights on and off via the Alexa command through either the Fire remote's mic.

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 07:38:10 pm »
http://www.ibroadlink.com/rmPro/
I use my Android TV box as it is always on. ;)

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 08:19:32 pm »
@tuicemen

Thanks for link to Broadlink; a new gadget to me.

>>>  I use my Android TV box as it is always on.

OK, so how does this fit in to using it?  Does it eliminate Alexa or actual apps for devices?  What is the advantage if this over doing things another way?

Does the Fire TV qualify as an "Android TV box" for purposes of connecting it to Broadlink?

Bobbetto

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 11:56:58 am »
Ok - apologies - I over-assumed people here would know what this was.

RM Broadklink Pro hub is used to control RF and IR devices, such as LightwaveRF light switches, TVs and et-top boxes.

There is no direct interface with Alexa.  BUT... there is a hack, whereby you can "pretend" that each of the devices connected to your RM Broadlink Pro hub is a Philips Hue light or whatever - it requires a Tasker App and a "Bridge" app - and I was told that the Bridge app needs to be on an android device that is effectively always on, and should probably be dedicated to the task - this is the only way instantaneous command and control can be achieved. I know the FireStick is a glorified android device, so I wanted to see if anyone knew whether IT can be the host of the Bridge app - as its always on - rather than me have devote an android device to the task.

How the interfaces and bridges all work is not yet in my sphere of understanding, just that its:  RF/IR device - RM Broadlink Hub - Android device running bridge and tasker app - Philips Hue account - Alexa.

I have nothing to lose but to give it a go, I guess, and I'll let people here know if its successful, or whether I need to devote an old or cheap android phone/tablet to the task...

Thanks folks
Bob

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 12:40:23 pm »
@ Mike27oct
The Broadlink will allow one to control pretty much any IR remote controllable device via a smart phone.
It will also allow you to control  RF devices on the 433 MHz frequency via a smart phone as well.
It doesn't eliminate Alexa or Apps for devices though there are devices (lights, sensors, and outlets) that will work with it.
As
Bobbetto stated it currently needs a bridge running the most popular is the RM Bridge (which needs an android device running) however there are other options.
I do run RM bridge but don't use the SmartThings hub which many use with it I use the HA-Bridge on A PC to enable Alexa control of my TV and other IR controllable devices.

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 02:17:26 pm »
@ Bobbetto
 I'm unfamiliar with the firestick but from Googling it, I would say you can run the RM Bridge from it as the newer version (at least) has a memory expansion slot to store additional apps.
I also think your over thinking your setup. You don't need a Philips hue account, and you don't need to run tasker though that may make things easier to initially setup.

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 03:05:17 pm »
Thanks for all the info guys.

Thus does not sound like a gadget I want to get.  Good luck with it, though. 

The Fire TV is a cool gadget, and cheap and small enough to travel with and use in hotels, etc.  The only "hack" I have used on it is to side-load/install the free Kodi app on the thing to make a real media player for my own content.  Bring the Fire, along with a wireless HD, and I can listen to all my digital music and view from my movie collection as I can do from home, plus it has built in Netflix, and Amazon Prime video and music.

Bobbetto

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 12:22:04 pm »
Thanks folks

I really appreciate your views and comments. I will let you know how it goes with running the Bridge app on my FireStick.

Thanks again  B-)

Offline tthoben

• Greetings from sunny Singapore!
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 08:46:22 pm »
I'm not familiar with firestick, but if it can sideload Android apps, then it's theoretically possible to run RM bridge.

If it can access to Google store, then you can run another app called RM tasker.

There's another thread on RM pro integration with Alexa so u shd explore that thread
Echo Dot @ SG

SquigglyData

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 08:00:37 am »
Hi Bobbetto,

How did you get on?  This is exactly the setup I was considering. 

As you've got one, I hope you don't mind me asking another question!  Does the RM Pro allow you to add custom IR commands and routines?  I was also looking at the Harmony remote which natively works with Alexa but this would work out much cheaper

Thanks,

Ed

Kazikd

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 11:23:50 am »
Yes, you are correct fire stick can be used this way as long as you do two things allow unknown sources in fire stick settings to install all apps required also have an independent always on power source for the fire stick as i have done good luck newbie :)

WaveyDavey

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 01:37:05 pm »
Yes, you are correct fire stick can be used this way as long as you do two things allow unknown sources in fire stick settings to install all apps required also have an independent always on power source for the fire stick as i have done good luck newbie :)

This is the route I'd like to go also. I've a fire tv stick with alexa remote (2nd gen) but struggling to get google play working on it despite following the online guides (too new a version?). Need this as the Broadlink RM plugin is a paid app and only have the lite version good for 7 days in the other app stores.

Or am I missing a trick here?

gsuemnic

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 08:09:42 am »
Ok - apologies - I over-assumed people here would know what this was.

RM Broadklink Pro hub is used to control RF and IR devices, such as LightwaveRF light switches, TVs and et-top boxes.

There is no direct interface with Alexa.  BUT... there is a hack, whereby you can "pretend" that each of the devices connected to your RM Broadlink Pro hub is a Philips Hue light or whatever - it requires a Tasker App and a "Bridge" app - and I was told that the Bridge app needs to be on an android device that is effectively always on, and should probably be dedicated to the task - this is the only way instantaneous command and control can be achieved. I know the FireStick is a glorified android device, so I wanted to see if anyone knew whether IT can be the host of the Bridge app - as its always on - rather than me have devote an android device to the task.

How the interfaces and bridges all work is not yet in my sphere of understanding, just that its:  RF/IR device - RM Broadlink Hub - Android device running bridge and tasker app - Philips Hue account - Alexa.

I have nothing to lose but to give it a go, I guess, and I'll let people here know if its successful, or whether I need to devote an old or cheap android phone/tablet to the task...

Thanks folks
Bob

Try the IHC app.  Use it with Alex groups for the lack of 'scenes'