Echo & Alexa Forums

Alert: TP-Link Kasa and Alexa have issues on 3/2/17

mike27oct

Alert: TP-Link Kasa and Alexa have issues on 3/2/17
« on: March 02, 2017, 08:11:49 pm »
FYI, maybe some of you have noticed that your tp-link smart plugs are not controllable via Alexa right now.  Just got off phone with Amazon Echo support and they confirmed this issue with me.  The guy said don't make any changes or try to fix it at my end.  Just use the Kasa app on phone to control plugs, etcl. until you try Alexa later and it is working again.

Unfortunately, before he told me that, I had already tried to disable and re-enable Kasa again in Alexa app and now cannot enable it!  I will have to wait until problem clears with Kasa/Alexa and then try again.

Hopefully, this alert will save some of you confusion as to what is going on with the plugs.

EDIT:  A few hours later. . .   Now the Kasa app is not working well locally.  Only one of three plugs is reacting to the app.  Let's hope things are better on Friday.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 11:36:17 pm by mike27oct »

Mingfu

Re: Alert: TP-Link Kasa and Alexa have issues on 3/3/17
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 08:54:57 pm »
I wish I had read your post 20 minutes ago. Got home, tried the lights, nada. Started troubleshooting everything, fired an email to tp link because it seemed I couldn't remotely access the tp link smart plugs. Did the customer support guy give you any insight what happened or just "standby and try later"?

mike27oct

Re: Alert: TP-Link Kasa and Alexa have issues on 3/2/17
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 11:39:03 pm »
He said best to see if it gets fixed overnight, and check in the morning.

I added an EDIT to my above post.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 04:38:30 am »
UPDATE:
Late this Thursday evening TP-Link sent all users an email explaining the day's troubles which are still not cleared up.  The said they would send another when they sound the "all fixed" signal.

Personally, I find this screw up unacceptable.  These devices are created and sold to control things, and I'll guess they sold so many of them that their servers reached overload and imploaded.  Companies need to be sure they can service the devices they sell.  I sure hope they learned their lesson, and this doesn't continue to happen.

Mingfu

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 07:15:57 am »
More specifically, I did get a response from the TP Link team stating the Kasa cloud was down/having problems. Wonder if this is tied to the S3 server problems earlier this year.

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 01:20:41 pm »
Friday morn update:

I was incorrect in saying above we would get another email from TP-Link about the progress of this fix; the email from them said we could check the progress at a FAQ (hotlink) within their email.  So far, no update from them and not working yet with Alexa.

They did seem to fix some things with Kasa app; I was able to re-enable my Alexa app to work with Kasa app after I had dinked with it yesterday.  I have 2 of the 3 smart plugs being controlled via Kasa, and I believe the one not working needs to be reset to defaults and reconnected to my network again. (which I will do in a little while)

As for it being related to S3 server breakdown of a week or so ago, I doubt issues are related; anyway what would it matter!  There is just issues with Kasa itself and also its interaction with Alexa devices.  The big mystery to me is why is it taking so long to clear up some seemingly "simple" issues?  TP-Link must have had some major breakdown of their Kasa-controlling equipment they are not mentioning.

cybrguy

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 03:15:41 pm »
I read that the system was back up, but my devices did not reactivate.  I contacted support and they suggested resetting everything back up after first killing all the previous configuration.

It worked, and both of my devices are working as expected now with Alexa.  It is a little annoying that these problems happen, but we ARE at the point of the spear so we shouldn't really expect completely trouble free use of this stuff.  At least that is my opinion.  ;)

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 03:51:13 pm »
Where did you read this?  URL please.

Sorry. I can't give TP-Link any slack here.  I am just glad it is light bulbs and not an artificial kidney machine which is connected to the smart plug!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 05:26:49 pm by mike27oct »

mike27oct

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 05:32:55 pm »
Update:

Just received an email from TP-Link stamped today at 12:30 PM PT stating they got it fixed 11 hours previously.  Guess they wanted to be sure before sending email.  Unfortunately, my plugs and Alexa will still not work together, so I will need to start the setups from scratch/defaults and hope all goes well.

malliekm

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 10:16:56 pm »
I only have one smart device (plug mini).  When I woke up at 9, it was working again.

I need to get a grip!  I find myself  trying to ask Alexa a question while in the car! lol
Tonight, our 8 yo granddaughter spent the night.  I had Alexa on the patio and paired with
Jawbone Jambox.  Her current favorite songs are from Pantatonix Christmas Special.  So we're outside on a starlit night, out in the pasture eating cheeseburgers from the grill, listening to Christmas music and shooting fireworks on a glorious "Spring" evening in Texas.  Her brother was missing.  He's with dad in South Texas bowhuntng big game! :o

mike27oct

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 04:49:22 pm »
Whew, all three of my smart plugs (HS 100 and HS 105 models) are now working correctly with Kasa app, AND with Alexa,  But to get to this point, it took removal of the devices and Kasa app from Alexa app, then setting up each smart plug in Kasa again by resetting to defaults and installing anew (with only one plugged in at a time to avoid confusion), and after this was done, re-enable the Kasa app in Alexa app Smart Home section and re-discovering the devices.  All worked perfectly again.

This TP-Link Kasa app crash better have been a one-time occurrence at best, or not too often, or Amazon will be exchanging all my smart plugs for Wemo plugs!  What a nuisance the Kasa crash turned out to be!

smeg

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 10:38:06 pm »
Well I guess you shouldn't have panicked. If you did your due diligence then you would have learned the problem was on TPLinks end and you wouldn't have had to do all the crap you did.

I simply waited less than 24 hours and all my TP links stuff was working perfectly again!

« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 10:39:37 pm by smeg »

mike27oct

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 11:09:27 pm »
Yea, thanks for rubbing it in!  I appreciate that.

Actually, I was home when it happened and there was NO info at the time. I looked into the app to see if there was something amiss, touched the "wrong thing" along the way, and f'd things up worse. 

I was one of the first callers to Echo support, and was told they had just been notified of the situation; he said I was the first caller to ask him about the problem, so he had no clue either.  I would have been better off NOT being home and just seeing the TP-Link email later that evening as you and many others likely did.  Live and learn.  I just hope TP-Link now has a backup server ready for the next time their main server blows a gasket.